PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 3 questions

Terrigal
April 23rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
1. Printer won,t work. Installed Printer Disk but get the message."Error while printing"?
2.Evolution mail.Initially received a congratulation for joining so I thought that it was working. Sent test message to myself but it sits in the out box and won't deliver.
3. My mail server says install flash player which I did and then I get a message 'Can not find flash plugin-non free'
4. Where in forum can I easily access the replies that I will hopefully receive.
Thanks James

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
4 questions, isn't it? ;)

1. What kind of printer is it?
2. I don't know much about mail clients, but is this mail from your ISP (internet service provider)?
3. Try this (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash).
4. Under thread tools at the top of the page, you can click "Subscribe to this thread", which will send you emails when there are new posts.

petzworld999
April 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
For the evolution problem, go to Edit > Preferences and select the account you are having problems with. Click edit. Under the 'Sending Email' tab, set the 'Security' option to SSL. That worked for me with my school email.

solarwind
April 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Use thunderbird.

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Use thunderbird.
While I am all for Thunderbird (http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=37&pos=5), I think it's generally a good idea to fix someone's problem, rather than just forcing them to something different.

Miljet
April 23rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks Xiong, excellent reply about Thunderbird!
If I understood the original post correctly he is trying to install the printer drivers that came with the printer instead of using cups.

Terrigal
April 23rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Yes my printer is a Cannon BJC2100 SP
Can't install using original disc-- still need help!

Re evolution mail-- I will download thunderbird. But where can I go to kill off Evolution mail?

What is cups?

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
What I was trying to point out to solarwind is that we shouldn't just blindly tell you to use T-bird instead of Evolution unless there is a good reason. If it makes it work, then good, but it's not the first thing I'd suggest.

As far as printers go, CUPS is the Common Unix Printing Service - the thing that makes your printers work (essentially). According to this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrintersCanon), your printer's not supported, but it should work. There doesn't appear to be a driver for it, so I guess somehow we'll have to get it working under a different model's driver?

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Oh, and this (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/) is an excellent guide on how we install things in Ubuntu, since you don't seem to have adjusted yet. There is hardly ever any need to insert a CD, go to a website, or anything; just search for it in Synaptic! The same goes for uninstalling a program; search for it in Synaptic and mark it for removal.

Terrigal
April 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Xiong
I am very new to this, I assume that I download Synaptic but from where? MyCD?

erlyrisa
April 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hmmm ... Terigal

maybe you should have gone through the "introduction" when Ubuntu was installed (as you may have if windows were to be freshly installed)

--Suggest that you press the "?" help button near the top of the screen and do a little more reading.

About your printer - simply go to the "System" menu - you will see an icon for installing printers - it's pretty straight forward and pretty much the same as for windows.

In order to use e-mail - you actually need to know about your "POP email account" - you can't send (or recieve) anything untill you have set it up - this is the same for ANY operating system or e-mail client (even online mail fronts like gmail expect you to do this manually)

The rest (like installing flash) will come to you easily once you have done a little reading.