PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ideal Partition Setup for 2 160GB Hard Drives?

DavidCain
April 23rd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Okay. So, I had a previous thread somewhat related to this, but I think this is a unique and hopefully a easily answered question.

What is an ideal (at the very least, a working partitioning setup for my two hard drives? I don't really want another OS for the other drive; I'm hoping with Wine, I can rid myself of my dependence on Windows. I really just want the combined storage of the two drives (they were previously redundant drives). I just installed Ubuntu onto the first drive, and by leaving the second one unpartitioned, then unplugging it on reboot, I was able to get Ubuntu up and running. I was unable to partition both drives and get a fully functioning OS in the end (probably due to my extremely limited knowledge of partitioning).

So, in summation, could somebody give me a partitioning setup that would (most importantly) actually work and that would be helpful to me?

Some things that might be helpful:

I'm not an avid gamer, but I aim on installing some fairly large games such as WoW among others. I probably won't ever use more than 15GB at a time for all my video games.
I have a large music collection, right now about 100GB, but if I choose to combine music libraries with friends (and I intend to), I could far surpass this.
I won't use many other apps than what comes with Ubuntu. Maybe a video editor, which takes a few GB, but not much more.

So, I need some space for video games, a lot of space for music and videos, and a little bit of space for various apps. I'm not sure what's worth partitioning and what isn't, so I'm totally open to suggestions here. I'm sorry for the horrible length of this post. At least it's thorough. =P

Pumalite
April 23rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
I answered your other thread, but if you are willing to reinstall, I'll give you my two cents. Use the 1st HDD to install your OS. Use the 2nd one for storage. A good scheme for your 1st HDD is:
10 GB for '/'
1 GB for /swap
The rest for /home
Install Ubuntu, go Manual and choose the already prepared partitions.

DavidCain
April 23rd, 2008, 04:16 AM
A reinstall takes but 10 minutes; I'd love your two cents. Thanks again, you've been great.

Pumalite
April 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
You are welcome. Good luck.