PDA

View Full Version : Avian Flu found to be drug-resistant

Sirin
October 15th, 2005, 04:50 AM
I'm going to Antartica when this breaks out. Anybody wanna come?

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Girl%27s_flu_case_found_to_be_drug-resistant

BWF89
October 15th, 2005, 04:52 AM
I'm going to Antartica when this breaks out. Anybody wanna come?
We could move in with the scientific research team that uses Firefox down there.

drizek
October 15th, 2005, 04:56 AM
yay

as if we didnt have enough natural disasters...

Lovechild
October 15th, 2005, 05:08 AM
We could move in with the scientific research team that uses Firefox down there.

Great I can convert them to Epiphany while I'm at it.. Send more Dapper cds

mrtaber
October 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM
My boss is just getting over a very nasty case of West Nile Virus...it's taken him 2 months. They didn't give him any antivirals, either, since it too seems to be "drug resistant." But most viruses are--we are in the very early stages of being able to medicate against viruses. So the headline is a little sensationalistic, since most of your common-variety influenzas are basically "drug-resistant" too right now.

Mark :)

Goober
October 15th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Oh, don't get so panicked. Human Beings have survived much worse, heck, we almost eliminated our race several times through near Nuclear War during the Cold War. I'm not worried about some Bird Flu. We'll develop a cure, or find a way to stop it. It might initially spread, it might kill hundreds, but the chances of it becoming another 1919 Spanish Flu is very minimal.

(Ok, I HOPE the chances of this jumping to humans is low. Statistically, the chances should be low enough so that we can all worry about more important things, like MIDTERMS)

Sirin
October 15th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Oh, don't get so panicked. Human Beings have survived much worse, heck, we almost eliminated our race several times through near Nuclear War during the Cold War. That was a human-run terror, it could easily be totally controlled by the free will that has been given to us since birth. We're talking about a major biological epidemic, something humans could control as much as they could Hurricanes Katrina and Ivan. Avian ("Bird") Flu IS a type of flu, don't you understand? If you remember the flu (the "common" flu, that is) crisis of 2003, you could very well see how bad this could get. Hell, put in SARS, by the way, as seeing as there were over 8,000 cases of the disease and over 800 deaths caused by it.

We'll develop a cure Eventually. H'mm, can we find a cure to this disease faster than ones for AIDS? HIV? Cancer? Ebola? Not Likely.

It might initially spread, it might kill hundreds... Maybe even thousands...

...but the chances of it becoming another 1919 Spanish Flu is very minimal. We have yet to see it, though. It could happen. ;)

xequence
October 15th, 2005, 07:23 PM
They also found that the spanish flu was an avian flu.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I dont want to alarm folks , but we all need to view reports from credible sources. I am part of a group planning and advising Government of strategies to deal with this.
If this virus mutates and becomes transmitted between Humans the chances of a deadly Pandemic are very real.

People need to be aware of this and do personal planning to prepare for it.

There is the real possibility of actions such as Nations closing their borders. And this could last for sometime.
Consider , do you travel outside your border a lot? Could you get back?
Do you use vital medication that is imported? If your borders are closed to freight and persons could you still get your medication?Should you /can you build up an extended stock at home?

Internal actions

What if you could not go to work as your work place is closed to slow the spread?
What if public transport is closed to prevent spread?

There will be alarmist and sensationalist headlines , but you need to watch this situation and start making plans to cover contingencies.Listen to your official Government releases. But above all be calm be sensible be careful.

Hopefully it wont mutate or they can deal with it while it still only transmitted by Birds. Unlike the Pandemic of the ealy 20th century we have much bettermedical facilities and but better treatments for the symtoms . However in the third world or developing countirs these are not freely available and sadly if a Pandemic strikes this is where the heavy toll on human life will be felt. The World Health Organisations predictions is 200 million dead with the majority in those Countires.

minio
October 15th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Ok so Tamiflu won't work. Avian flu has about 60% death rate. Well it has to come sooner or later...

mstlyevil
October 16th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Quit worrying. If avian bird flu causes an epidemic, there is nothing that anyone can do about anyway. I doubt you can contain it even with a quarentine. It is like this folks,avian bird flu speads around the world and in a few years most people will build a natural resistance to it. That is what is happening with west niles virus here in the US right now. This year, not one person died of it in Oklahoma. The entire population has been exposed to it for 4 or 5 years now and the scientific community says that it is due to the fact that people are becoming resitant to it.