PDA

View Full Version : fluxbuntu or e17 ubuntu on ps3?

linuxlizard
April 23rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
I know that ubuntu can be installed on ps3, but what about something lighter like fluxbuntu or elbuntu or whatever the e17 version of ubuntu is called?

EnergySamus
April 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM
Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

It has a couple of links. I would use Yellow Dog Linux or Fedora.

linuxlizard
April 23rd, 2008, 02:41 AM
why fedora over ubuntu particularly? Is it faster?

Yellow dog is out of my league at the moment. I gave it a shot right after I got my ps3, but I don't have a high-def tv, and setting up the video was beyond me. Fedora and ubuntu supposedly can handle my tv no problem...

I did want enlightenment or fluxbox though because without the 3d drivers, I'm wondering if linux won't be kind of slow...

EnergySamus
April 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Fedora is just as fast as Ubuntu, but there are tons of setup guides for installing it on the PS3. Look for Ubuntu, and you will find a few complicated guides!

sam_delta
April 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
i have yellow dog linux, works fine its specially designed for power pcs and ps3, everything worked out of the box including internet. thats why i choosed YDl

hoagtech
July 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Are there two seperate versions of unbuntu for ps3? i really want unbuntu from what ive seen so far. and multimedai sorage and playback would be a plus too. does anyone know which version i need to install for a high def? i read that only 7.10 works on the ps3 but theres a millionm different releases and im confused at which one.