PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Front end tool for MySQL database

Linux Lover
April 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Is there any Visual Basic like tool which can be easily used to build the GUI for MySQL database?

PeterJS
April 23rd, 2008, 01:43 AM
SQL is a query langauge... you can't really (at all) write programs in it. What language are you planning to write your application in? C/C++? Java? PHP?

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 02:55 AM
If you're just wanting a graphical way of managing your databases, I use phpmyadmin, installed as part of my LAMP stack. But that's because I'm doing web dev.

Linux Lover
April 23rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
I think I am really unfit to do all those things using c/c++/java etc.

Here I am trying to explain what I need to do.
In my early school computing, we used to create database using m$access and used to make the GUI using VB.

The same here can I do using MySQL as database? If yes, then what will be the front end tool which can be a replacement of VB?

jcwmoore
April 23rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
I use MySQL Administrator for a GUI for MySQL.

Linux Lover
April 23rd, 2008, 03:03 AM
If you're just wanting a graphical way of managing your databases, I use phpmyadmin, installed as part of my LAMP stack. But that's because I'm doing web dev.
I am not going to use my database for web. I actually need it for desktop use. Not only that, it is not even a shared database. For use in a standalone computer.

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Google? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mysql+gui&btnG=Google+Search)

Xiong Chiamiov
April 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I am not going to use my database for web. I actually need it for desktop use. Not only that, it is not even a shared database. For use in a standalone computer.
Yes, I don't share mine either. I was just confused as to what you were using your database for. Mine is just for testing things, since my web development requires it, but I don't serve out pages to anyone.

Linux Lover
April 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
I use MySQL Administrator for a GUI for MySQL.

Can I use MySQL Administrator to build GUI screen for data input, data view and taking printout including custom menus, icons etc? And the last but not the least, can it be run independently using any Linux as well as Windows computer?

Linux Lover
April 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Yes, I don't share mine either. I was just confused as to what you were using your database for. Mine is just for testing things, since my web development requires it, but I don't serve out pages to anyone.

Actually I want to make a database for my office works, in which data can be entered by anyone but they cannot alter the data.

Linux Lover
April 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
I think I could not make me clear enough.

Once upon a time I used to create database in access and the frontend in vb. I need such a thing but access and vb cannot be run from Linux. So, I am searching for another easy to use tool (i am sure I cannot do that using java or c/c++) which can be run either from Linux or from Window$.