PDA

View Full Version : All wmii users

Istonian
April 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
I am playing around with wmii a little and I was wondering what the best IM client, email client and web browser is for wmii. Oh and file manager if possible.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 01:50 AM
I am playing around with wmii a little and I was wondering what the best IM client, email client and web browser is for wmii. Oh and file manager if possible.

I use:

finch for IM (same as Pidgin, so all your accounts are there) "sudo aptitude install finch"
email client? Whatever you use now. I use webmail and Opera.
Thunar (not Nautilus!), or mc from the terminal.

Istonian
April 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
LaRoza! Just the person I was hoping to hear from. Thanks for the information. I had a feeling you would be the first to respond.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
LaRoza! Just the person I was hoping to hear from. Thanks for the information. I had a feeling you would be the first to respond.

Really? I am flattered :-)

DahVid
April 23rd, 2008, 02:15 AM
I'm not a wmii user, but I can recommend that you should use the best tools regardless of your window manager unless there is a major conflict (I.E., your application extensively uses floating windows (gimp), or your application uses Swing/AWT a lot).

Istonian
April 23rd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Im playin around with wmii now. I kinda like it. Will take a while to get used to tho.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Im playin around with wmii now. I kinda like it. Will take a while to get used to tho.

It took me an hour to get used to it.

One thing that tripped me up, theming wmii. It is easy to do. Here's how (from a terminal)
First copy all the settings to your local settings file. The defaults are in /etc/X11/wmii-3.5/wmiirc. The local copy will be in ~/.wmii-3.5/wmiirc.

cp /etc/X11/wmii-3/wmiirc ~/.wmii-3/wmiirc

Now, edit ~/.wmii-3.5/wmiirc to customize it. If you mess something up, weird things happen...

To change the theme, see: http://www.suckless.org/wiki/wmii/tips/themes

Istonian
April 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Thanks for that. I will try it later. Right now im trying to figure out all the commands. How do you enable your account in finch? I cant do it. Never used cli apps before so im a noob and a half at this.

Lostincyberspace
April 23rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
What is the easiest way to install wmii? on ubuntu and get it set up good.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks for that. I will try it later. Right now im trying to figure out all the commands. How do you enable your account in finch? I cant do it. Never used cli apps before so im a noob and a half at this.

Do you have Pidgin? It should use the same setting from that.

Here's the guide: http://developer.pidgin.im/

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 02:39 AM

sudo aptitude install wmii

After it is installed (it is very small), log out, and log in with "wmii" selected under "sessions"

It will have a guide guide open for you when you log on the first time. I suggest following it. You get used to it quickly.

(Press "Alt + a" to log out, well select "exit")

Lostincyberspace
April 23rd, 2008, 02:44 AM
Thanks LaRoza! nice fast response will try it out this week.

chucky chuckaluck
April 23rd, 2008, 02:44 AM

sudo apt-get install wmii

it's pretty well set up, but you can mess with it by copying /etc/X11/wmii to your home folder, changing it to .wmii and inside you'll find the wmiirc file that you can edit for what you want.

to the OP, i found that terminal apps work the best in wmii, so centericq/im for im, i use gmail but mutt or pine would probably be fine and i use elinks for browsing, or opera when i want all them purdy pictures.

Istonian
April 23rd, 2008, 02:47 AM
When I open finch it says choose which account I want enabled. I don't know how to get past that.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
When I open finch it says choose which account I want enabled. I don't know how to get past that.

I am not sure what that means. See the guide for it. Sorry.

(you can't have two clients in use at the same time)

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
to the OP, i found that terminal apps work the best in wmii, so centericq/im for im, i use gmail but mutt or pine would probably be fine and i use elinks for browsing, or opera when i want all them purdy pictures.

centerim is the active project now.

I am going to try it.

DigitalDuality
May 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM
d

DigitalDuality
May 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
d

Belathor
May 30th, 2009, 08:17 AM
bitlbee+weechat is a great way to combine IRC and IM in wmii.

Also, here are some good resources for configuring wmii:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wmii
http://wiki.debian.org/Wmii