PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Heron Release Candidate

bgast1
April 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
When the offical release comes in 2 days, will we have to download that and install that if we have the release candidate installed or will our system be pretty much up to date provide we have done the updates?

PurposeOfReason
April 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
If you have the RC installed you might just get a few updates. You do not have to burn a new disk.

st33med
April 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yes, if you upgrade. Just:

sudo update-manager -d
in the terminal.

sam_delta
April 23rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
you just keep updating daily and ull get to the final release

noynac
April 23rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
The following is from the Hardy FAQ:

I already have a working Hardy test installation. Do I need to install from scratch, or can I upgrade when the final release is out? Is there any difference between a clean install and an upgrade?

You do not need to download the disk images in order to have the final release. The update manager will alert you of the existence of a new version when the release is out, and once you've performed a distribution upgrade, you'll have an identical set of packages to those on the CD.

However, it can be a good idea to do a clean install if you're affected by certain corner cases where you may not be able to access specific features or fixes without doing a clean install, or if you've extensively modified or partially broken your installation, and/or have installed software not provided by the official Ubuntu repositories without keeping track of the changes made to your system.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763394

enchantedsky
April 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
In my experience with Ubuntu, doing a *clean install* solves many issues. I also believe that people who advocate doing upgrades are just lucky.

For example, I was having issues with Compiz Fusion screwing up windows in Synaptic Package Manager. Reinstalling Hardy Heron RC from scratch solved that issue.

bgast1
April 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
So far everything is working just fine, except the I still haven't been able to get my Creative XFi Extreme Gamer card working. I guess I'm just dense and don't understand how to do it. I'll start a new thread on this later,

How much different will the release candidate from just this past weekend be from the released version?

1scorpio
April 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
I have already done the download and the Beta Is Realy good with 1 minor detail in the upgrade which I did from disk BTW the internet app Firefox has been changed to a beta version "Mozilla Firefox 3 beta 5" the browser is fine but I have heard that the issue is with online banking not recognizing the browser I simply uninstalled and reinstalled the old firefox
I feel it is always nice to have the disk on hand

hope this helps
scorpio

bgast1
April 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Hmmmm. My online banking works perfectly with the Firefox that was installed with the release candidate. In fact, in the past this was a problem for me in other distros with KDE installed. I had to use Konqueror. Since it works, I think that I might just leave it. But I probably will still download the actual release and burn it just in case I run into a problem down the line.

1scorpio
April 23rd, 2008, 02:50 AM
that is good news bgast I tried to bank for several hrs didnt mind reinstalling though.
Have fun with this update. it is a good one

bgast1
April 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
By the way, I don't have windows on my machine anymore either. I bought a Playstation 3 for gaming just last week. Will probably try to run Civilization on a virtual desktop when I get the time to try it out.