PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nm-applet broken

Lolicon
April 23rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Something happened to my nm-applet and I can't restore it, because it needs the internet. I tried wicd, but it told me I needed to get rid of two dependencies: something with network manager. So I tried, but it needs the internet to do it for some reason (tries to upgrade them)! So how do I restore my internet?

Lolicon
April 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
please help

Anicka
April 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Check which packages you need and go to this webpage http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/ There you can download any package you need and see what dependencies they have. Put them on a USB-stick and transfer to your Ubuntu. Install them either by double-clicking or from the terminal.

Quite obvious is that the network-manager is essential for the network to function.

Lolicon
April 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
The problem is it told me I needed to upgrade them, but I used the upgraded ones.

Anicka
April 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is wicd, where did you get it from and how did you install it? If it is a deb-package, make sure it is for you version of Ubuntu. Second issue could be if you don't have all the repos in your source file.

taavikko
April 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Quite obvious is that the network-manager is essential for the network to function.
Actually network-manager isn't crucial to network to function.
It tries to keep connection, at all times.

You could use ifup ifdown dhclient commands to fire up connection.

Tom--d
April 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Uninstall nm-applet from Synpatic Package Manager and re install it.

Then in termainal type:

nm-applet

That then should sort it.

It tries to keep connection, at all times.

It does??
My wireless cuts out at around 3 to 5 hrs up time.
I do not run nm-applet as I don't need it (manual configuration).

If I run nm-applet. Would this stop the cuttage?

Lolicon
April 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
The problem is that I cannot connect to the internet, therefore restoring it is problematic. Here is wicd
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Lolicon
May 8th, 2008, 02:20 AM
help please

Lolicon
May 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM
help please

b u m p

glennric
May 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Do you have a wireless or a wired network that you use to access the internet?

GrantsV
May 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi there, you need to give a few more details.

Is nm-applet actually still installed (the network manager icon near clock)?

Is your problem is getting to the nm-applet then try this:
Open System > Preferences > Sessions and a few down on the list should be Network Manager. Make sure a tick is in this box.

If the nm-applet is available but you just cant connect to your internet, please let us know more detail so we can help future.

All the best,
Colin