PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new member with many questions in mind

nabilsunnah
April 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
hi there
I am a new user . i have been trying and thinking to install ubunto and at last i did ; I have many questions if u could plz help me as an open source community :
1- i want to make a network with a laptop and desktop .the desktop is windows and the laptop is ubunto and I want to share folders btwn the two
2- i want to share internet connection btwn the two
3- I really want to be an expert in linux and get rid of windows coz I am fed up with it

there other questions .....

and thanks a lot in advance

Wazoot
April 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
Well as for the folder sharing Idk if you could share folders between the two. Do you mean 2 computers, one with Windows and one with Ubuntu?

Daveski
April 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
hi there
I am a new user .
Welcome

1- i want to make a network with a laptop and desktop .the desktop is windows and the laptop is ubunto and I want to share folders btwn the two

You can access Windows shares via Ubuntu 'out-of-the-box' simply by browsing the network. This is because Ubuntu has the Samba client which is a client implementation of the Windows File and Printer Sharing protocol. This is Ubuntu accessing shares on Windows.

OR you can install Samba daemon (Server) and allow your Ubuntu machine to share folders which Windows machines can connect to. This is more complex to setup though. This is Windows accessing 'Windows' shares on Ubuntu.

I would get a Router if you don't already have one, but both Windows or Ubuntu could be set up to 'share' the internet connection to other clients.

3- I really want to be an expert in linux and get rid of windows coz I am fed up with it

Good luck. Just use Ubuntu for a while - it might seem a bit tricky at first, but this will pass as you get more used to a different way of doing things.

sam_delta
April 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
Well as for the folder sharing Idk if you could share folders between the two. Do you mean 2 computers, one with Windows and one with Ubuntu?

file sharing between ubuntu and windows is possible

as mentioned by Daveski it is easier just to browse your network , but if you wish to install Samba server
heres a video on step by step instructions on ubuntu 6.10 using Samba server file sharing as mentioned above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad17kma8rNM

although in the video its done with ubuntu 6.10 it should be the same or very similar in Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04

-sam

st33med
April 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM

You need to setup a network using Windows. Once that is setup, you just go to System --> Network Folders (Or something like that, I forget)

That is beyond my expertise. I think you can get Windows to do it by Sharing an Internet Connection, but in Linux, I have no idea.

Well, that takes time and practice. You have already installed Linux, and that is your first step to Linux Nirvana :).

nabilsunnah
April 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
thks alot for your replies
Iam making a connection btwn the two wiy$th a little bit old way :) a rj 45 FILE

martrn
April 23rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
hi there
I am a new user . i have been trying and thinking to install ubunto and at last i did ; I have many questions if u could plz help me as an open source community : 1- i want to make a network with a laptop and desktop .the desktop is windows and the laptop is ubunto and I want to share folders btwn the two

Hi !

sudo apt-get install quagga
Ubuntu can be figured to run as a router, linux has the TCP/IP protcol stack built in, as is brillient at it. Sometimes this involves editing config files to ensure it works properly. There is no internet connection share wizard... (Can be a good thing)

Linux it brill.

there other questions .....and thanks a lot in advance

nabilsunnah
April 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi !

sudo apt-get install quagga

thanks a lot
I did the code ther is a msg asking me to give a password
I tried to type my password but it neither accept numbers nor letters and when I click enter it says sorry try again

jken146
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
thanks a lot
I did the code ther is a msg asking me to give a password
I tried to type my password but it neither accept numbers nor letters and when I click enter it says sorry try again

Just type your password. You don't see any feedback, but just type it anyway and press Enter.

nabilsunnah
April 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I did but the command shell refuses to write

spec-chum
April 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
You won't see any characters or the cursor moving when you type your password. That's a security feature. Just type the password correctly and press Enter. That'll work.

nabilsunnah
April 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
thanks a alot
I typed the password although it did not appear and then hit enter ;then there is a msg saying :
lecture des listes de paquets .... fait
construction de l'arbre des dépendance
lecture des informations d'état...fait
E : impossible de trouver le paquet quagga

another problem raised ,
is that I when looking in the network section ubunto can only sse the artitions of windows that are installed in the laptop
and the network icon show that there is a network connections established with a 100mg but still the internet is not connected and I cant see the desktop partitions in the laptop