PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade to hardy today

steveneddy
April 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
If you use the command

sudo upgrade-manager -d

the -d will make the update manager look for distribution upgrades.

Looks like the new version is available now.

Get it now!

steveneddy
April 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I have upgraded in less that 30 minutes from DL to restart.

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
If you ran
sudo update-manager -d months ago, it would've found Hardy available to install :)

I've been running it since the beta stage, and it runs better than Hardy for me :D

GTengineer
April 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Isn't this still a release candidate?

In any case I have been using Hardy beta for a while now and I just upgraded to this new RC this morning. A whole bunch of annoying crashes that I was having have completely disappeared. I am very pleased.

:guitar:

steveneddy
April 23rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
If you ran
sudo update-manager -d months ago, it would've found Hardy available to install :)

I've been running it since the beta stage, and it runs better than Hardy for me :D

Hardy runs better than Hardy?

OK

I believe this is the full release version - although it may just be RC polished.

Needless to say, it runs well, so upgrade today and get it over with.

Get there before the masses jam up the internet DLing it Thursday night.

louieb
April 23rd, 2008, 01:59 AM
30 minutes wow. wish I had your internet connection.:KS

Hardied my laptop a couple of weeks ago from the beta.

yogo
April 23rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Do you have to upgrade to Gutsy first? Or can you go directly to Hardy?

I did upgrade to Gutsy but downgraded because Beryl would not run in Gutsy and Compiz does not run smoothly on my desktop, Beryl is better IMO

If I can not keep Beryl, I will probably not upgrade to Hardy.

Pumalite
April 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
I've been running one Hardy since Alpha 5 and the other one since Beta. They have been fine. Having kept with the updates I should have the real McKoy by now.

martalli
April 23rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Do you have to upgrade to Gutsy first? Or can you go directly to Hardy?

I did upgrade to Gutsy but downgraded because Beryl would not run in Gutsy and Compiz does not run smoothly on my desktop, Beryl is better IMO

If I can not keep Beryl, I will probably not upgrade to Hardy.

Now that compiz and beryl joined together again, you can get the best of both worlds with the new version. Compiz is even available natively for kubuntu, although most of us KDE folks are waiting for KDE4 to mature a little more (or already using it =).

I am not sure what you prefer about beryl, but if you find stability nice, Compiz Fusion is pretty stable.

yogo
April 23rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
I am not sure what you prefer about beryl, but if you find stability nice, Compiz Fusion is pretty stable.

Beryl runs stable and fast for me, when I had Gutsy for a week and a half, my desktop environment was sluggish and did not respond well. As soon as I downgraded back to Feisty, everything worked great again. Beryl seems to need less to run my desktop efficiently.

I do not have a graphics card but my PC does everything I need so buy a new PC for Compiz to run smooth does not make sense when Beryl does now.