PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Understanding widgets

natman
April 23rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi i have hardy RC kubutnu KDE4 installed and am liking it except one thing, when i save anything from Firefox it goes to the desktop, but when i go right click the on the desktop all i get is some widget menu, the only way i can access the file is via dolphin ( file manager or terminal ) also drag and drop wont work with the pseudo widgets things on the desktop - is there any way to make files behave as normal files in KDE4 desktop?
Also anyone know when Dashboard widgets will become available in KDE ?

kio_http
October 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Why don't you upgrade to the final?

ankspo71
October 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Hi,
Right click on your desktop and then click on "Desktop Settings". When the window opens, click on Activity. Change it from "Desktop" to "Folder View". This will display all of your files on the desktop. This will also change the right click menu on your desktop so you can create documents and shortcuts and things. "Desktop Settings" will get renamed to "Folder View Settings" in the right click menu too. You will still be able use Folder View widgets and every other widget if you want to.

By the way, you might not have noticed that there is a Wallpaper Slide Show option in the Wallpaper category of Desktop/Folder View Settings too. A nice feature... but too well hidden I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by Dashboard Widgets, but I know there is a "Widget Dashboard" widget I can add to the panel, but it doesn't seem to do anything except darken my screen to show the widgets off, so I don't use it.

I use Kubuntu Maverick with KDE 4.5.1, so some features might not be available in the version you are using. Hope this helps.