PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Photo Browsers (again!)

JemW
April 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I'd like to get a consensus on the best choice of Photo Browser / Importer for Gnome.

My Needs (Simple):

Good Importer with masks for specifying directory and file naming on import.
RAW, JPG and Video handling
Thumbnail catalogue / database
Slide show incorporating all formats if possible

I don't need complex editing - I'll use a secondary tool (maybe GIMP) for that.

I don't want to hear the following answers:

F-Spot
G-Thunb
Picassa

I've tried digiKam on a Kubuntu install, but this seems to be a KDE app. only. There also seems to be mixed views on whether it will run correctly / reliably under Gnome. If there's anyone out there who has an 'experienced' take on this I'd be happy to hear it. And any other suggestions of course. I gather the majority feel that the lack of a good photo browser is a weak spot in Gnome. Any signs of that being corrected...??

Thanks

JemW
April 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hi,

I'd like to get a consensus on the best choice of Photo Browser / Importer for Gnome.

My Needs (Simple):

Good Importer with masks for specifying directory and file naming on import.
RAW, JPG and Video handling
Thumbnail catalogue / database
Slide show incorporating all formats if possible

I don't need complex editing - I'll use a secondary tool (maybe GIMP) for that.

F-Spot
G-Thunb
Picassa

I've tried digiKam on a Kubuntu install, but this seems to be a KDE app. only. There also seems to be mixed views on whether it will run correctly / reliably under Gnome. If there's anyone out there who has an 'experienced' take on this I'd be happy to hear it. And any other suggestions of course. I gather the majority feel that the lack of a good photo browser is a weak spot in Gnome. Any signs of that being corrected...??

Thanks

Anyone...?

cnr437
April 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
lowfat :)

JemW
April 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM

URL?

geoff5314
April 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Well I work in the photo industry and am also a newcomer on here and have no problams using Picassa plus Ive loaded my copy of Adobe Photoshop via Wine and have no problems at all.

JemW
April 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well I work in the photo industry and am also a newcomer on here and have no problams using Picassa plus Ive loaded my copy of Adobe Photoshop via Wine and have no problems at all.

Thanks but I'm a purist. I will not run Windows apps shoehorned into Linux. It's against my religion. ;)

JemW
April 23rd, 2008, 10:39 AM

Hmmm..can't find this...

morgengenuss
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
here's a link to an old thread that discusses this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140073)

although i have to say i'm not sure this thing was ever released and the website of macslow also doesn't give you much information on it.

(although i have to confess the preview looks really impressive...)

r76
April 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM

...snip....

F-Spot
G-Thunb
Picassa

Are you a politician or something? How are we going to get a consensus if you don't want to hear the answers? :razz:

Look, I found Lphoto on linuxappfinder (http://linuxappfinder.com/graphics/digitalcameras) but that's all now you excluded the most popular ones. Did you know a new version of Picasa for linux (2.7) was released on the 16th?

It might be against your religion but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.