PDA

View Full Version : Wireless problems

SigmaHog
April 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Here's the problem, I finally got my wireless to work and can get it to work at other wi-fi spots and on campus but when I get back to my house I can see a connection (usually at 52-71%) but when I open firefox nothing happens and it says Page cannot be found. Any Help?

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
You can see the connection...but (this may sound really stupid) are you actually connected to it?

SigmaHog
April 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
not stupid at all lol... i'm new at this whole linux thing though

it says I'm connected... it has the blue bars where the connection indecator is...

i ran iwconfig but i don't know how to read all the crap on there yet... i'd post the output but im on a different comp :(

Phoenixzeus
April 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
If you connect up (cabled) to your wireless connection at home do you get connectivity? Can you browse the web?

SigmaHog
April 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
If you connect up (cabled) to your wireless connection at home do you get connectivity? Can you browse the web?

if i have a landline yes....
I live in a house with about 150 guys and it's an old house so we don't get landlines in our rooms, very frustrating

Phoenixzeus
April 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Once you connect to the network,
Can you ping the router?
Can you ping websites?
Open terminal, type: "ping www.google.com"

SigmaHog
April 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
nope i can't ping one thing

SigmaHog
April 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
bumpety bump bump bump

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
I've not managed to find a solution or possible solution, as of yet.

Also, we'd recommend that you don't bump a thread for at least 24 hours. Just a general forum rule :)

SigmaHog
April 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I've not managed to find a solution or possible solution, as of yet.

Also, we'd recommend that you don't bump a thread for at least 24 hours. Just a general forum rule :)

my bad :( sorry

its just wierd that i can connect to random connections to other peoples wifi but not here and i'm getting frustrated

sam_delta
April 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
does the router have any type of encryption? or mac adress restriction?

SigmaHog
April 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
does the router have any type of encryption? or mac adress restriction?

not that I know of, how would I find out?

sam_delta
April 23rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
not that I know of, how would I find out?

ask the administrator of your network, another way to find out is to try to connect using another computer, or another OS, to see if you can connect without a password or something

SigmaHog
April 23rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
ask the administrator of your network, another way to find out is to try to connect using another computer, or another OS, to see if you can connect without a password or something

well then... no... no passwords or anything like that

i'm actually using the same router on this computer