PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell XPS m1530 touchpad

ZeRoNiXxX
April 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
OK, first of all I'm new so bear with me, I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed alongside Vista, everything was working fine until I updated Ubuntu for the first time and now the mouse just flies around the screen like it's a little too happy to see me every time I use the touchpad, and it's an Alps trackpad.
it works fine when I am using a Microsoft mouse, ironic, isn't it.

help would be appreciated

jespdj
April 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
You probably have BIOS version A08 on your XPS M1530. Solution: Use the following kernel parameter when booting Ubuntu:

i8042.nomux=1
From here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=737060).

Also see my page: http://jesperdj.pbwiki.com/Ubuntu-on-the-Dell-XPS-M1530

karl0sglover
April 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hello,

A few days ago i got my XPS M1530, on 8.04 the mouse has a mind of its own when you move it i have tried the above in the kernel options still does the same thing. It's not a sensitivity issue i have played around with this for numerous hours.

(Works fine on previous versions of Ubuntu)

If you move the mouse it does not move, play with it a bit and it does but very fast although it tends to go to menus or create folders if you do move it.

I am running the latest BIOS as i saw a similar issue was fixed by downgrading to A7.

Any further suggestions would be greatful.

Thanks.

ZeRoNiXxX
May 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks, that was the problem.

phamnewan
May 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hello,

A few days ago i got my XPS M1530, on 8.04 the mouse has a mind of its own when you move it i have tried the above in the kernel options still does the same thing. It's not a sensitivity issue i have played around with this for numerous hours.

(Works fine on previous versions of Ubuntu)

If you move the mouse it does not move, play with it a bit and it does but very fast although it tends to go to menus or create folders if you do move it.

I am running the latest BIOS as i saw a similar issue was fixed by downgrading to A7.

Any further suggestions would be greatful.

Thanks.

The example had a typo for the letter "l" instead of "i"

I put it in exactly the same with the "i" and it worked fine.

toozler
July 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Sorry for bringing this topic back.

That solution works for me, but still, the touchpad is extremely not sensible. To bring the cursor from the left end of the screen to the right, I did swipe my finger 5 times (1650x1050 screen res).

Any tips on how to increase sensitivity?

Brain Bug
August 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I also have an XPS M1530, and the touchpad was crazy and not sensible.
I found some help in different forums to increase sensitivity.
Here is the corresponding section in my xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics TouchPad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "1"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.75"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.020"
Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
EndSection

I have a 1680*1050 px screen, and the width of the touchpad is enough for me to cover all the screen's width.

Unfortunately, I still do not have the vertical and horizontal scroll working fine....

Hoping it will be helpful.