PDA

View Full Version : All quiet on the new release front

Irihapeti
April 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
It's one or two days before Hardy is officially released, depending on what your timezone is (UTC+12 here) and you'd scarcely know it.

Six months ago, there was thread after thread with the theme of countdown to Gutsy, each one trying to outdo the others in excitement, buzz and rah-rah.

Then, of course, there were all the disappointed threads a few days later, as people discovered that the latest release didn't actually solve all their computing problems.

I was fully expecting to see the same sort of thing happen this time round, and it hasn't. Anyone have any ideas as to what might have made the difference?

justin whitaker
April 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
It's one or two days before Hardy is officially released, depending on what your timezone is (UTC+12 here) and you'd scarcely know it.

Six months ago, there was thread after thread with the theme of countdown to Gutsy, each one trying to outdo the others in excitement, buzz and rah-rah.

Then, of course, there were all the disappointed threads a few days later, as people discovered that the latest release didn't actually solve all their computing problems.

I was fully expecting to see the same sort of thing happen this time round, and it hasn't. Anyone have any ideas as to what might have made the difference?

Most of the savvy folks are installing the release candidate, and then going for the release day update.

It's also possible that, by some incredibly hard work, Hardy is just that good. :)

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I'll call it the "not Feisty" factor. I think the build up for Gutsy was so huge because people thaught that it would be as revolutionary as Feisty now I think after Gutsy people have less expectations for what a new release will mean to them.

gn2
April 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Anyone have any ideas as to what might have made the difference?

Perhaps the "LTS" tag makes people think it's not cutting edge or sexy.....?

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I think that might be right.

Also a few people are still having some "show-stopping" issues with Hardy. Though I've experienced none on any of my machines :)

acelin
April 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
So I have heard some grumbling about no excitement for Hardy...

LET THE PARTY BEGIN!!!!!!

Tell us what you look forward to and how you are going to celebrate!!!

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

I AM SO EXCITED FOR HARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

This guy seems PRETTY EXCITED to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! HARDY HERON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fatality_uk
April 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM

Shame because Hardy is full of sexy stuff!! :D

barney385
April 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Really??!!

Ub1476
April 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Well, I just got some updates on my Hardy box, and read that some of the fixes where this thing where your CPU would go up in 100%. It' basically that and some ATI problems I read about that encounter in Hardy. However, Gods know what happen if you upgrade...

zekopeko
April 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Well, I just got some updates on my Hardy box, and read that some of the fixes where this thing where your CPU would go up in 100%. It' basically that and some ATI problems I read about that encounter in Hardy. However, Gods know what happen if you upgrade...

nothing really... it just works. i upgraded from a stable gutsy install to alpha 4 or 5 and everything just worked.

JacobRogers
April 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm excited and stuff

Koori23
April 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Yesterday I received a buncha updates, something like 30meg worth.. I installed Hardy a week ago, I think I'll keep it around for a while. I don't get overly excited about it though, it's just my OS.

ZarathustraDK
April 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Pulseaudio is plenty sexy for me. Can't remember how many times I've had applications not do any sound because some process was hogging the card.

That, and the prospect of a fresh install. Haven't fresh-installed since breezy, so there be plenty of things I've sudo'ed out of optimal working-order.

New release, clean slate, all the wiser than before.

Party on. :guitar:

Moop
April 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
I've been using Hardy since alpha3 so the release is just another day here but I will download the torrent and seed for a week or so. I'll also burn a few cd's to give away.

There's lots of cool new stuff in Hardy! It's a nice step up from Gutsy.
:popcorn:

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM

For my system, Gutsy was so easy to install, and it has been stable. I don't know why I would upgrade to Hardy. I may use WUBI to load Hardy on my alternate computer just to see how well that works.

gn2
April 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
Shame because Hardy is full of sexy stuff!! :D

I agree, 8.04 is a great release for me, way ahead of 7.10

Having a working LTS release that runs OK on my eight year old laptop means that it will still be usable as an eleven year old laptop and I won't have to buy a new one for quite a while yet :)

bobbybobington
April 23rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Well I guess a lot of poeple are used to the release cycle and it is an LTS so there are no really big changes...

BUT I'M TOTALLY EXCITED WHOOO HOOO :guitar:

stream303
April 23rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
What I like is the inclusion of default "relatime" in the typical /etc/fstab. For a few years I had been putting "noatime" into it to help cut down on needless writes (unless you need forensic time stamp security), and hopefully relatime should only do writes once a day or so. Might keep the drives alive for a bit longer and provide some speed boosts for those situations that need it.

Wow - I just re-read that and realized I need to get a life! :)

Bungo Pony
April 23rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
t just works. i upgraded from a stable gutsy install

What happens when you upgrade from an UNSTABLE Gutsy? I think the excitement factor may be down a bit for me as well since the last 6 months with Gutsy haven't been much of a picnic. But this is also making my hopes for Hardy that much higher, and I really do hope it delivers.

Chelidon
April 23rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Haha, I'm not sure my Gutsy is stable enough to cross over. It was no piece of cake to get this thing running smoothly, and I still have pretty frightening lock ups in this one. I'm not touching Hardy until I look over this forum and the "hard lock up" threads are gone. Which is all a shame because Hardy looked pretty awesome... but I'm not so cutting edge to make the jump at the moment. I'll give it a few months for the bugs to be worked around... :wink:

geoganoe
April 23rd, 2008, 04:23 AM

I decided to upgrade from 7.10 when Hardy Beta5 came out, and I've kept up with the upgrades using either Update Manager, or just using apt-get if I happened to have a root terminal window opened. I haven't seen any serious problems. When the release candidate was available, it was automatically taken care of on my system, and announced itself as such in about Ubuntu and in the default Firefox page. After the updates that I installed tonight, those pages are now saying that I have the release version.

George

BOBSONATOR
April 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
I loved all quiet on the western front

FuturePilot
April 23rd, 2008, 05:04 AM

Hardy is indeed very cutting edge.

barbedsaber
April 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
may a quickly add my pleas for you to you the torrent, if you are not upgrading (yes, you there with the separate home partition, I may well be talking to you.) please please please use (and seed) the torrent.
please
please
please
etc
thank you.

blithen
April 23rd, 2008, 06:00 AM
I loved all quiet on the western front
VERY good movie (I think it was a book, never read that though)

FuturePilot
April 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
may a quickly add my pleas for you to you the torrent, if you are not upgrading (yes, you there with the separate home partition, I may well be talking to you.) please please please use (and seed) the torrent.
please
please
please
etc
thank you.
:lolflag:

I definitely will be seeding. ;)

Irihapeti
April 23rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
I suppose I found all the pre-Gutsy hype a bit, shall we say, overdone. So often I've seen people go from the extreme of raving about something (anything!) to loathing it. And that's exactly what happened to some. It makes more sense to me to steer a middle path.

I strongly suspect that some people will find Hardy is the answer to everything and others will wish they'd never touched it, and yet others will have an issue or two to keep their brains and humility in working order.

For the record, I'm going to ask a family member to download Hardy over a high-speed link, burn it to CD and then put it in the mail. I suppose there's just a possibility that he might decide to see if it will boot nicely in his machine, but I won't be holding my breath.

And I'll be playing safe and triple-booting for a while.

P235
April 23rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
I probably missed out on the excitement of previous releases because I usually wait a few weeks after the release before downloading and installing it. The BBC recently put up an article about Ubuntu Linux reaping dividends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7358483.stm

Presto123
April 23rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
I have been using Hardy since probably January and it was VERY stable from the beginning. I like the Gnome improvements, but I switched over to KDE last just for something different, so I don't know what is different over Gutsy. I like KDE pretty good, but I still prefer my Gnome. Firefox3 is still a bit buggy, but that's Firefox.

macogw
April 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
please
please
please
etc
thank you.

Although I'm running Hardy now, I will be using the torrent to get disks for the installfest, and I will seed them, don't worry. I just can't seed for days and days because the school won't like it.

barbedsaber
April 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I mentioned the torrent thing on my blog (http://mynameistux.blogspot.com/)

Akre
April 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hardy is shaping to be not so good release. I know there will be people that will be happy with this but...

hdd killing bug not fixed - it's been almost a year, yet apparently there is nothing to be done about making disk usage stop.

kernel compiled so that system is less responsive then vista itself:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/188226

misfitpierce
April 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
I love my Ubuntu 8.04. Couldn't live without it now :)

gn2
April 23rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hardy is indeed very cutting edge.

I agree, it is now, but in October......?

ghindo
April 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Just got finished upgrading and have been loving it so far.

I've been hearing a fair amount about Hardy - hasn't every alpha made the front page of Digg? Aren't some people anticipating it to be one of the largest torrent swarms ever?

macogw
April 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hardy is shaping to be not so good release. I know there will be people that will be happy with this but...

hdd killing bug not fixed - it's been almost a year, yet apparently there is nothing to be done about making disk usage stop.

kernel compiled so that system is less responsive then vista itself:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/188226

Laptop mode is disabled by default. If you have the hdd-killing bug happening where it keeps the disk going all the time, it's your own darned fault for going out of your way to explicitly enable it.

Now, that's a FUD-way to describe that bug. That says if a user executes something as root it doesn't keep the niceness level the user sets because it's executing as root and not as the user. Anyone who knows how to use niceness to begin with will also know how to "sudo renice"

kevdog
April 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Now, that's a FUD-way to describe that bug.

Wow, that was cold! I love when moderators have to clear up misconceptions, and when they do it forcefully. Reminds me of myself sometimes.

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
:D For me Hardy is better than Gutsy, way better.

And looking at my disk activity light, it's doing absolutely nothing. Though apparently the CD drive keeps going every so often ;)

macogw
April 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, that was cold! I love when moderators have to clear up misconceptions, and when they do it forcefully. Reminds me of myself sometimes.

The way he said it was that there's a bug making Hardy slower than Vista, which isn't true. In very narrow use-cases, it would harm performance, but not in general as his post made it out to be, so it was certainly very misleading and could fall into the FUD category.

The Pinny Parlour
April 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Can't wait. I want to download the image NOW. :)