PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install or upgrade?

wwarsin
April 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
hello everyone i saw that the canidate has been released and in 2 days the new ubuntu will be released, and im thinking about installing it, but my question is, is it (unlike micr$oft) able to upgrade without and problems, or is it better to do a full reinstall of ubuntu?

-thanks

abhiroopb
April 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740884

Pumalite
April 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Clean install anytime.

wwarsin
April 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
ok thanks, i did a search but i must not have been really looking... lol

Wazoot
April 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
yeah with any *new* Ubuntu version it always seems better to just do a clean install.

wwarsin
April 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
i know this is a little off topic but what exactly do the developers do with each new 'version' of ubuntu, is it kinda like a 'service pack' to windows, where it includes fixes, updates, new stuff, or is it more of a new build altogether, or is it kinda in between?

martrn
April 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
i know this is a little off topic but what exactly do the developers do with each new 'version' of ubuntu, is it kinda like a 'service pack' to windows, where it includes fixes, updates, new stuff, or is it more of a new build altogether, or is it kinda in between?

Linux in not Windows, Linux is open source. Most source code for application in ubuntu are available for free, (free as in speach not as in beer) and you can download the source code, and compile (into machine code) all of the software yourself if you had the time or were so inclined.

This follows on the earlier unix pholosipy of sharing souce code, but linux is most definatly noting like windows. Windows is closed source.

Each new version of the distribution (ie each new ubuntu version), if effectivly as complete rebuild + recompile of the source code from the individual packages, utilising all the new source code from the updates of its individual packages.

You can't compare it to windows, windows is propietry and closed source code and in effect microsoft developed the idear of closed source and propietry software.