PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How I got the ATi driver to work

white_eagle-mk
April 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Simply I used this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589637) guide, but with the latest drivers from ati.amd.com and I got 3D acceleration to work with my ATi Xpress 200m Series integrated graphics card to work (64 MB) ... Simple enough...

morrie
October 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I tired that with my Radeon X1650 and got an unviewable screen at startup; had to start over.

doas777
October 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I just download teh driver from ati.com. and then run it from a terminal. usually works fine for me. just gotta make sure you have the build-essentials and kernel headers installed first.

morrie
October 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
The Open source driver seems to work fine, was just troubleshoooting why it fades in games or some movies (without screensaver or power saving on)? So I found all this stuff abot the ATi driver (which makes sense- I thnk it was the same way wiht Windows).

That's what I did. I even searched through my synaptic for each item in the article's list, even though it appears that Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty has them all. I don't know if there is anything else to try. I have read that others with the Radeon1600 had this problem. I was wondering if anyone else with this card (Radeon x1650) got it working? (Mine is a Sapphire AGP 512 MB model).

Open Source Driver Symptom: fades (like sleeping) dutring movies - doesn't come back. Also, breaks into static color pattern during games (like Urban Teror) (after about 10-20 minutes for both) unrecoverable graphic crash. (i will post this problem in the appropriate forum).

fox.esq
October 31st, 2009, 04:25 AM
I tired that with my Radeon X1650 and got an unviewable screen at startup; had to start over.

How do you get a viewable screen to return? I have the same problem after installing the ATI driver. I also have a Radeon X1650. I have a bunch of data on that disk and don't want to have to delete it, and I have no other way to access it except by Ubuntu. I'm running 9.04 btw.

claymater
October 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM
In synaptic if you search ATI you will find some xserver drivers... I have 3D with thos! works great! ;)