PDA

View Full Version : Trying out Debian

azurepancake
April 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Recently I've been wanting to get my feet wet and to try other Linux distributions. I'm not really positive at this moment, but I think I'd like to give Debian a shot.

The only thing that I worry about is that I won't be able to get Debian to work with all my hardware.. at least not as well as Ubuntu does.

I guess all I am asking for is a little reassurance that it will be possible to have a similar setup on Debian that I have now on Ubuntu. This might sound real naive and please forgive my ignorance, but I'd imagine if Ubuntu can work with my hardware, then Debian will be able to - it might just need a little bit more tinkering.

Any ways, I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Oldsoldier2003
April 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Debian is the base Distribution that Ubuntu comes from. Its a very stable, very solid Distro. you could always try the live cd http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/ and from there you would have agood idea of if your hardware is supported .

Cypher
April 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Debian Etch is the latest stable version and as long as you have "generic" hardware, there's no reason for Debian not to work. Debian and Ubuntu are going to be very similar, so you might want to play around with some other distro just to see what others do..

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Fedora 9 is out in a couple of weeks, you could give that a go?

It's Red Hat based so will be pretty different. But it has Live CD's so you don't have to go for a full install just to try it :)

azurepancake
April 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Awesome, thanks.

I love the whole live CD concept, it should make things much easier to try out. I just visited DistroWatch.com and I am simply blown away by the sheer amount of Linux Distributions. I think I'll try Fedora, Debian and perhaps a few others that I have been itching to try out.

Thanks again for the recommendations!