PDA

View Full Version : Propriety drivers?

natman
April 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I have a laptop with an nvida card and in 7.10 in both kubuntu and ubuntu i needed to get a propriety driver ( in ubuntu there was a gui that did all the work for me, i had to search for it in adept in kubuntu ).
I just tried the live cd of both Ubuntu an Kubuntu 804 and they both tell me that there are no propriety drivers in use on my system, does that mean i need to go get the drivers manually or i dont need them at all?

Thanks

ace007
April 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
It just means your system is using some generic drivers provided with Hardy. You can use envy to install nvidia drivers if you are looking to enable some features. Otherwise you'll have no problems with the generic drivers.

nightcrawler27
April 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
If no proprietary drivers are in use, that means the system does not require them for operation. However you may still want to use closed or proprietary drivers if you believe you are losing functionality of some hardware. It is very possible that there are open drivers for your hardware in 8.04 that were not around when 7.10 came out and that there is no need to replace them if everything is running to your satisfaction.

nightcrawler27

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
You could try installing them on the Live CD though I don't know how that would work out for you :p

Usually you'll need to install the proprietary drivers after installing the base system :)