PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux help!

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hello,

I'm a new user of Ubuntu, and I need help.

1) can I download iTunes for Linux?

2) How do I add more email address in mail envirement?

3) How do I get sound working?

4) This is the old verion of Ubuntu, not the ubuntu 8

What do I do?

eriqjaffe
April 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
1) can I download iTunes for LinuxThere is no native version, but you might be able to run in through Wine. Searching the forums for "Wine iTunes" will probably turn up a bunch of threads about that.

There are also plenty of Linux-native applications with similar functionality to iTunes. If you have Ubuntu installed, you'll already have Rhythmbox, and a lot of people swear by Amarok (although that requires a bunch of KDE libraries, which is a turn-off for some people).

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
There is no native version, but you might be able to run in through Wine. Searching the forums for "Wine iTunes" will probably turn up a bunch of threads about that.

There are also plenty of Linux-native applications with similar functionality to iTunes. If you have Ubuntu installed, you'll already have Rhythmbox, and a lot of people swear by Amarok (although that requires a bunch of KDE libraries, which is a turn-off for some people).
i've just got no idea how to use ubuntu.. so ok i'll search for wine itunes

thanks.

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hard? It says I don't have wine?
bash command not found? Do I need to install it?

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Also, how do I get flash player working?

mlentink
April 22nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
You might want to take a look at the Ubuntu website (https://help.ubuntu.com)first. There's quite a bit of info in there.
You could also look here (http://www.ubuntuguide.org/) and here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/)

Of course there's the monkeyblog (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/), which should help you install stuff, and the undervalued Psychocats (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index), where you will get most of what you would want to know

markjensen
April 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
You can install wine from your package manager.

You said you wanted "iTunes". Do you really just want an online music store, or do you have an account with Apple already that you need to keep using? Amazon offers a native Linux app for their (non-DRM!) music store, if purchasing music from other sources is acceptable.

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
You can install wine from your package manager.

You said you wanted "iTunes". Do you really just want an online music store, or do you have an account with Apple already that you need to keep using? Amazon offers a native Linux app for their (non-DRM!) music store, if purchasing music from other sources is acceptable.
I just want my iPod working, thats why I wanted itunes

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 1, Column 2:e();
-^

Why do I get this in FireFox?

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I just want my iPod working, thats why I wanted itunes

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 1, Column 2:e();
-^

Why do I get this in FireFox?
also how do I find package manger :P

markjensen
April 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
If you are just after iPod management, maybe something like Banshee would be what you need?
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/how-to-use-banshee-to-manage-your-ipod-in-ubuntu/

EDIT: This thread is just all over the place, isn't it? Not really about "Desktop Environments" at all. Maybe a mod can move this to the "Beginner" section, since there are basic questions about package managers and such.

RainCT
April 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome.

You can use your iPod with many native programs, like Rhythmbox and Amarok which eriqjaffe mentioned above.

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
If you are just after iPod management, maybe something like Banshee would be what you need?
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/how-to-use-banshee-to-manage-your-ipod-in-ubuntu/
got no idea what it is, dose it put music on the ipod, etc?

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM

EDIT: This thread is just all over the place, isn't it? Not really about "Desktop Environments" at all. Maybe a mod can move this to the "Beginner" section, since there are basic questions about package managers and such.

markjensen
April 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM

Might I respectfully ask you to read what I linked to? It is very thorough and walks you through step-by-step. Honestly. It explains how banshee synchronizes music to your iPod. It is all there.

RainCT
April 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
[Deleted - Double post]

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
OK,

and how do I torrent?

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
OK,

and how do I torrent?
and what about itunes?

it says to me wine installitunes.exe? is that right?

i'm guessing wine is something to make .exe files to work

markjensen
April 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I use transmission for my torrents. If it isn't installed by default, you can find it in your package manager. Or just try the default torrent app included in your menus (if one exists).

And .exe apps can be run through wine by association when you download them, it will prompt you to "open with wine". Or when you use your file browser, and you double-click an .exe, it ought to know to use wine.

You can manually initiate this from a terminal by doing a wine minesweeper.exe or some such, based on what Windows executable you wish to run.

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I use transmission for my torrents. If it isn't installed by default, you can find it in your package manager. Or just try the default torrent app included in your menus (if one exists).

And .exe apps can be run through wine by association when you download them, it will prompt you to "open with wine". Or when you use your file browser, and you double-click an .exe, it ought to know to use wine.

You can manually initiate this from a terminal by doing a wine minesweeper.exe or some such, based on what Windows executable you wish to run.
i don't get this

i just downloaded itunes

and did

wine itunessetup.exe

it brings me back with this

wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\itunessetup.exe": Module not found

markjensen
April 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I can try it when I get home.

When you try to run any other .exe (from the web, or downloaded) via firefox or your file browser by double-clicking, does it try to run it through wine? If not, is "wine" listed as an available app to run the .exe file?

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I can try it when I get home.

When you try to run any other .exe (from the web, or downloaded) via firefox or your file browser by double-clicking, does it try to run it through wine? If not, is "wine" listed as an available app to run the .exe file?
Got it, I was running it through termanal

Danial Weston
April 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
nothigns working for me

can't install itunes no ipod for me :(

gitpik
April 22nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Also, how do I get flash player working?

This really helped me out when I first started, It was posted already but (at least for me) links are invisible right now so here it is again. :D
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

markjensen
April 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
nothigns working for me

can't install itunes no ipod for me :(

Ummm... Did you even try any of the other apps mentioned that work with iPods?

scottuss
April 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
To be fair, I have used both Banshee and Rhythmbox for my iPod (80GB classic) and both work fantastically. You just have to try!

hulio40
April 23rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
yeah i use rythmbox for my ipod and its perfect

what do u mean by: How do I add more email address in mail envirement?

for the sound Double click on the speaker icon in the System Tray to bring up the mixer, make sure everything is enabled and if ur using a laptop try this:

2) Go into preferences and make sure that "External Amplifier" is selected to show on the mixer.

3) When you go back to the mixer, you will have a new tab "Switches." Select that tab.

4) Uncheck the only box on that tab. It's the box marked external amplifier.

5) Close mixer. Your sound will now work

to get flash working go to add/remove and type flash check the first app and press apply then restart ur browsers if needed
and try it it should work

russo.mic
April 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
So, I'm pretty sure you cannot install iTunes with wine. If you must use i tunes, may I recommend you think about a virtual machine?

Still, there is Rythembox, songbird, and Amarok which all support ipod databases.

Good luck!