PDA

View Full Version : There are 122 updates available

noswal
April 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
So I have them sitting waiting for me, I dont think I need them eg English translations ??? with this wonderful description:
"language-pack-en-base provides the bulk of translation data and is updated only seldom. This package provides frequent translation updates"

instead of is seldom updated. if that's what is meant.

Which seems whoever wrote it got it translated not so good, maybe, perhaps :)

Besides that I have numerous Library file updates do I really need them? and now I've decided that I dont want them, where is switch to turn off the notification?

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
just right click the update icon on the taskbar and turn off notifications.

jaytek13
April 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Keeping your system up to date is a vital part of computer security. While you may not be privy to what changes were made to the coding, it wouldn't be wise to simply decide you don't want to update. And outside of security updates, most things that are updated are just bug fixes that may or may not cause issues for you in the future.

Why don't you want to update your system?

bubba_169
April 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Updating is good and I'm not arguing with that but a fresh install of gutsy at the moment brings with it another 200mb+ of updates which can take a long while to download and can eat up your download limit!

Do the ubuntu servers carry a daily build of the current release that a new user could choose to download instead of the release that needs a ton of updating? If not this would be a good idea... :)

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Yep :) You can find them at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/

Though usually it's a testing release, so it's generally not the best of ideas to use it ;)

noswal
April 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
When I right click there is no option to turn off, only show, install, check, start.

I plan to upgrade from Dapper to the new version after release so its 140m of files that I dont think I need.. perl, python... etc.

I'm bandwidth impaired

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
If you are planning on upgrading you'll need a fair bit of bandwidth :( You could always get a CD from either ShipIt or a LUG :)

Sef
April 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I plan to upgrade from Dapper to the new version after release so its 140m of files that I dont think I need.. perl, python... etc.

If you are planning to update to Hardy Heron, you need to have all the updates installed. If not, you could end up with an unusable system.

SlappyPappy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm on dialup as well and it's not that bad.

Just snag a few of the updates at a time. Less hassle and less bandwidth used. It took me a few days to get all the updates after the install but no problem. I've got them all now.

noswal
April 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
If you are planning to update to Hardy Heron, you need to have all the updates installed. If not, you could end up with an unusable system.

So, I have to do a fresh install as an option or must I upgrade to each release before putting on hardy?

If you are planning on upgrading you'll need a fair bit of bandwidth :( You could always get a CD from either ShipIt or a LUG :)

Fortunately there are freedom toasters in my city

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
I just had to install 70 Updates at 129.1Mb :lolflag:

I am already using Hardy though, so I expected it really...