PDA

View Full Version : gpapers installation in ubuntu

jlawrence
April 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Recently I have been very jealous with Mac users because they have decent softwares to manage their pdf files (Papers and yep).

I found a similar software for Linux, named gPapers.
http://gpapers.org/

However the installation is very complex and I got several problems in the installation of pysqlite and poppler. I am not an experienced user and tried to follow the instruction but still I am confused.

Can someone post solutions for this problem ? Thank you.

JL

Het Irv
April 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Copy & Paste the first command

sudo apt-get install python python-glade2 python-gnome2 python-sqlite3 graphviz

svn checkout http://gpapers.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ gpapers

svn co http://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/trunk/djangogpapers/django

svn checkout http://deseb.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/deseb gpapers/deseb

sudo apt-get install build-essential libpoppler2 libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib2 libpoppler-glib-dev python-cairo-dev bzr gnome-common python-dev python-gnome2-dev python-gtk2-dev python-gobject-dev python-pyorbit-dev

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler-python/poppler-python/poppler-0.6-experimental

cd poppler-0.6-experimental

./autogen.sh

./configure

make

sudo make install

Copy and Paste these one at a time, If you come to an error post it and I will try to help you with it.

rax_m
April 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi jlawrence,

if you can give some details of what errors you have then we may be able to point where you're going wrong.

In the mean time, if you don't want to go through the hassle, there are a couple of other reference management tools I've used that are ok:
bibus
jabref
zotero (firefox extension)
connotea (open source web based application)

I hope that helps
Cheers
Rax

rax_m
April 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
or you can try what Het Irv posted ... guess I was a bit slow ;)

jlawrence
April 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I tried the first command set, but I got this message:

python is already the newest version.
python-glade2 is already the newest version.
python-gnome2 is already the newest version.
E: Couldn't find package python-sqlite3

How do I install python-sqlite3 ? I tried installing python-sqlite2 as well but couldn't find it.

If it is relatively bug free, I think gpapers is the best for now. Zotero is not that straight forward, and I think the ability to add annotation or note to the pdf will be great for Linux community.

Het Irv
April 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Try searching in Synaptic Package Manger for python-pysqlite2

It looks like that package should work. Disclaimer: note the SHOULD is the previous sentence.

jlawrence
April 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
gpapers rocks!

thank you Het Irv. pysqlite2 works well.

Step 3 and 6 needs to be modified, probably better for newbie, because I could not make it work unless I changed them as below:
(change "hxxp to http")

Step 3:
svn co hxxp://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/trunk/django

Step 6:
bzr branch hxxp://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler-python/poppler-python/poppler-0.6-experimental

Anyway, gpapers needs to be improved more, if possible better than Papers or Yep.

Regards,

chechojp
May 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I am also a newbie but somehow I managed to install gpapers (I believe) flawlessly...I mean I had no errors no weird messages and so on.

The problem is that i cant find how to run it. It doesnt appear under the applications directory and i dont know if it can be "executed" from the terminal...please help!!!!

Het Irv
May 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
try opening the terminal and typing: gpapers

It may be hidden in the menus, try going to System-> Prefrences -> Main Menu
from here you may be able to find it unchecked, or hidden, and check it to show up in the menu.

AmericanAqualung
May 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So, there are once again issues with the install of gPapers. Well, in particular the prerequisite of poppler-python. This has now been updated to version 0.8 in order to make use of poppler version 0.8. Unfortunately all of the versions in Ubuntu are the 0.6.x. I have been trying to figure out how to update this manually without screwing up things that depend on poppler that are already installed (pretty much a lot of things requiring pdf rendering). Furthermore, I'd like to keep xpdf after the update. Does anybody have any idea?
(Oh and unfortunately the 0.6-experimental version is not available either).

-Andy O'Hara

gtzam
July 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I am facing a problem with the installation of gpapers. When I type

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler...6-experimental

I am getting this error message:
bzr: ERROR: Not a branch: "https://code.launchpad.net/".

Therefore I cannot proceed with the installation. Any suggestions?
Many thanks

stumbleUpon
July 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I am facing a problem with the installation of gpapers. When I type

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler...6-experimental

I am getting this error message:

Therefore I cannot proceed with the installation. Any suggestions?
Many thanks

Same problem with me.

When i try

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler-python/poppler-python/poppler-0.6-experimental

i get

Everything else upto this point is fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

sybille
July 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Zotero is not that straight forward, and I think the ability to add annotation or note to the pdf will be great for Linux community.

Hi, I made a wiki page on using Zotero with Ubuntu that I hope will make it a little more straightforward:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Zotero

You can use Zotero to associate notes with PDFs, there's more information about that in the wiki. I have more than 300 PDFs in my Zotero library and I find that it's a good solution.

Zotero probably wouldn't make sense for people who don't want to cite the PDFs in academic texts, though, since basically all the Zotero information is organized around bibliography reference data.

Anyway, I'm just mentioning it as an option for people who are having trouble installing gpapers. Referencer (http://icculus.org/referencer/) is another alternative.

adking80
July 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I just installed successfully under 7.10. When I couldn't find the branch with the original bzr command I replaced it with:

bzr branch hxxp://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler-python/poppler-python/trunk --revision 40

and went to the "trunk" directory instead of the poppler directory to install.

stumbleUpon
July 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I just installed successfully under 7.10. When I couldn't find the branch with the original bzr command I replaced it with:

bzr branch hxxp://bazaar.launchpad.net/~poppler-python/poppler-python/trunk --revision 40

and went to the "trunk" directory instead of the poppler directory to install.

Thanks a lot. I just installed successfully on Hardy 64-bit.

I had earlier tried without '--revision 40' option but i had a lot of problems about version incompatibility of installed software.

This suggestion worked perfectly.

But i think gPapers has a long way to go yet. Many a times, it mixes up the names of the authors, title, journal etc.

Perhaps it is a little too early to make such comments.

nmhitman
August 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
after a brief investigation within the synaptic package manager I came across a reference to python-sqlite3. It seems it is repackaged/offered (at least to hardy users) as python-apsw.

Inserting this in place of python-sqlite3 worked for my install and I can now run the software. However, I'm still not able to import any of my .pdf files...all of them output an error as follows:

deseb: gPapers.schema_evolution module found (24 fingerprints, 12 evolutions)
deseb: fingerprint for 'gPapers' is 'fv1:-1497796564' (unrecognized)
trying to fetch: ['/home/339.pdf']
-1265013872 importing paper = /home/339.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./gpapers/gPapers.py", line 332, in import_document
paper.save_full_text_file( defaultfilters.slugify(os.path.split(filename)[1].replace('.pdf',''))+'.pdf', data )
AttributeError: 'Paper' object has no attribute 'save_full_text_file'

Any ideas?

Also, how can we go about seeing this seemingly wonderful program make its way into the repositories for easier install/use?

5au1
September 21st, 2008, 04:29 AM
Hi, I have installed gpapers following all the instructions in the post, however I don't know how to execute it (just as chechojp).

I've noticed that gpapers and trunk's folders are in my home folder, and (from my windows experience) I think they should be somewhere else, right?

Thanks in advance

cosine352
November 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hi, I have installed gpapers following all the instructions in the post, however I don't know how to execute it (just as chechojp).

I've noticed that gpapers and trunk's folders are in my home folder, and (from my windows experience) I think they should be somewhere else, right?

Thanks in advance

do this

cd gpapers

python gPapers.py

================================================== ===

after a brief investigation within the synaptic package manager I came across a reference to python-sqlite3. It seems it is repackaged/offered (at least to hardy users) as python-apsw.

Inserting this in place of python-sqlite3 worked for my install and I can now run the software. However, I'm still not able to import any of my .pdf files...all of them output an error as follows:

deseb: gPapers.schema_evolution module found (24 fingerprints, 12 evolutions)
deseb: fingerprint for 'gPapers' is 'fv1:-1497796564' (unrecognized)
trying to fetch: ['/home/339.pdf']
-1265013872 importing paper = /home/339.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./gpapers/gPapers.py", line 332, in import_document
paper.save_full_text_file( defaultfilters.slugify(os.path.split(filename)[1].replace('.pdf',''))+'.pdf', data )
AttributeError: 'Paper' object has no attribute 'save_full_text_file'

Any ideas?

Also, how can we go about seeing this seemingly wonderful program make its way into the repositories for easier install/use?

same problem here.

This is a really great application. Hope it will work properly in future.

anando
April 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi

Can some kind soul please package gpapers for Ubuntu ? If there is some instructions on packaging, I can have a gander at it myself.

Regs,
Anand.

snova
April 10th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Can some kind soul please package gpapers for Ubuntu ? If there is some instructions on packaging, I can have a gander at it myself.

Packaging Guide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide) (though it's not the simplest of things)

As for getting it packaged, I asked; you could file a bug about it, but the effectiveness of that approach depends on whether somebody wants to.

Dionysios
June 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM
I think this is one of the most useful applications ever written for Linux. It should definitely be added to the repositories.

iv2101
June 16th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I am running ubuntu Jaunty 32 bit and can't fetch the right packages:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib2 libpoppler-glib-dev python-cairo-dev bzr gnome-common python-dev python-gnome2-dev python-gtk2-dev python-gobject-dev python-pyorbit-dev

returns that there are no candidates to install for the *poppler* packages. Running

make

in the trunk directory [as suggested by adking80] returns an error. I assume these are connected...

Does anyone know how to get gpapers to work on jaunty?

Thanks!

snova
June 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM

sudo apt-get install build-essential libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib2 libpoppler-glib-dev python-cairo-dev bzr gnome-common python-dev python-gnome2-dev python-gtk2-dev python-gobject-dev python-pyorbit-dev

returns that there are no candidates to install for the *poppler* packages. Running

make

in the trunk directory [as suggested by adking80] returns an error. I assume these are connected...

Does anyone know how to get gpapers to work on jaunty?

Thanks!

What is the error make returns?

iv2101
June 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM
this is the output of make:

ilya@ilya-laptop:~/trunk$ make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ilya/trunk'
Making all in demo
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ilya/trunk/demo'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ilya/trunk/demo'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ilya/trunk'
/bin/bash ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include/python2.6 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/pygtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/poppler/glib -I/usr/include/poppler -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pycairo -g -O2 -Wall -std=c9x -fno-strict-aliasing -MT poppler_la-poppler.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/poppler_la-poppler.Tpo -c -o poppler_la-poppler.lo `test -f 'poppler.c' || echo './'`poppler.c
libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include/python2.6 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/pygtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/poppler/glib -I/usr/include/poppler -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pycairo -g -O2 -Wall -std=c9x -fno-strict-aliasing -MT poppler_la-poppler.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/poppler_la-poppler.Tpo -c poppler.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/poppler_la-poppler.o
poppler.c: In function '_wrap_poppler_image_mapping__get_image':
poppler.c:215: error: 'PopplerImageMapping' has no member named 'image'
poppler.c: In function '_wrap_poppler_page_get_thumbnail':
poppler.c:1410: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
poppler.c: In function '_wrap_poppler_page_get_selection_region':
poppler.c:1565: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
poppler.c: In function '_wrap_poppler_page_render_selection':
poppler.c:1610: warning: passing argument 6 of 'poppler_page_render_selection' from incompatible pointer type
poppler.c:1610: warning: passing argument 7 of 'poppler_page_render_selection' from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [poppler_la-poppler.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ilya/trunk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ilya/trunk'
make: *** [all] Error 2

iv2101
June 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
bump

iv2101
June 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
rebump...

snova
June 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM

returns that there are no candidates to install for the *poppler* packages.

Ok, sorry. Lets back up a bit. What are the precise error messages for this? These packages should all be in the main repositories.

According to the installation instructions (http://code.google.com/p/gpapers/wiki/Installation), you need:

sudo apt-get install python python-glade2 python-gnome2 python-sqlite3 graphviz

Later on it says to build pypoppler from source, but I think this is unnecessary, it appears to be in the repos.

sudo apt-get install python-poppler

Please try those commands, and post any errors. I think they should work (if the second doesn't, make sure the universe component is enabled in System -> Administration -> Software Sources).

iv2101
June 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
aaah! Now it works. I still get the error

E: Couldn't find package python-sqlite3

but it doesn't seems to matter.

Thank you!