PDA

View Full Version : [IDEA] Display a user defined statement about their confidence with ubuntu

dje
April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
How about a feature in the profile/bar next to posts which states, in a users own words or a built in statement, how confident they are with ubuntu ie. whether they are confident with the terminal and know their way around ubuntu etc. It would make replying to posts much easier as you don't have to always write out: open up a terminal (Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal) when people already know this. For an example of what it could look like see the attached screenshot, looks kind of familiar but look at the right hand side with the other user statistics

Just thought I should add this: This would NOT intend to be a rank of any sort

just an idea,
dje

Mazza558
April 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Interesting. Perhaps even better would be a "confidence level" - users have to complete it when they register/next access the forums, and it's simply a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "I heard of Ubuntu yesterday and I'm interested, but I know nothing about PCs - how to I get Ubuntu?" - to 10, being "I know all the commands off by heart...")

This could appear under your info like username on each post.

dje
April 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Interesting. Perhaps even better would be a "confidence level" - users have to complete it when they register/next access the forums, and it's simply a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "I heard of Ubuntu yesterday and I'm interested, but I know nothing about PCs - how to I get Ubuntu?" - to 10, being "I know all the commands off by heart...")

This could appear under your info like username on each post.

Yes that's a good development on the idea, especially when it becomes part of the registration process

dje

notwen
April 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
What would stop someone from claiming to know everything during this registration process?

You can't always go by what someone thinks they know. Some may come here being a avid and very experienced Windows or OSX user and expect that knowledge to aid them here, when we know this is not the case. I'm all for the idea, but I can't say whether or not it will work the way we're wanting it to. =]

dje
April 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
It could always say that the reason for the feature is to help the user and is NOT a rank of any kind and by giving a fair and true estimate it will benefit them. By giving each level a description as Mazza558 mentioned it would help people and the descriptions would pertain specifically to ubuntu/Linux ie. I've only just heard of ubuntu/Linux which would be a level one

dje

walkerk
April 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm not going to lie... Had a test been involved in the registration I wouldn't have joined :)

dje
April 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Not a test, just a drop down list for the user to choose what description best suits them as regards experience with ubuntu/Linux. I have amended the original post such that this would NOT be intended as a rank of any sort

dje