PDA

View Full Version : wireless question

bmann11
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
How do I hook up to a wireless signal that doesn't have a password. I go to a coffee shop where I can pick up their signal, but I can't connect.

I'm thinking this has something to do with the fact that manual configuration asks for a password and there is no security on this coffee shop's network. Thanks, Bmann

slibuntu
April 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
If you leave the wireless card in roaming mode, you should see the signal without the shield beside it (designating a protected network) and clicking on it should connect with no need for any configuration

mikeyphi
April 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
I believe that if your wireless connection is set to 'Roaming' mode you will be offered connections to any received signal - it all then depends on the origins' configuration - so if it's an Open broadcast with no password, you should be able to just select the network and click 'OK'.

What options do you see after selecting the correct Network name from those presented (if more than one)?

bmann11
April 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks, I'm not there right now, so I can't try it out. Hopefully these suggestions will work.

I don't see the problem solved option anymore?

slibuntu
April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Probably just hasn't been migrated over to the new system yet, it'll probably show up in a couple of days