PDA

View Full Version : Just Installed Ubunutu

Ice Dragon
April 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hey all, I just installed ubuntu, this is the first linux ive ever run, I heard ubunutu was quite popular so I went with this one. Im coming from Windows Vista.

Ubuntu seems to be filled with useful programs, i really liked the terminal server client that comes with it.

I am finding linux a lot harder to use in most areas, especially screen resolution. It would only let me have 1024x768 at first, I had to do lots of reading and modify the xorg.conf file to try and get my monitors intended 1680x1050, i managed to get it to 1600x1200, still not what i wanted but its bearable until i learn more.

I have 7.04 (downloaded it along time ago and didnt bother installing until now), and im trying to upgrade to 7.10 that the updater recommends, however it keeps getting stuck on file 15/24 and doesnt upgrade.

I want to get Compiz and Kiba dock working like in all the videos ive seen.

Ive had ubuntu completely lock up and require a hard reboot already once. I was trying to chose a screensaver to use, I had to end up putting just a blank screen so the computer wouldent lock up.

I like it a lot so far, but I have to say, it seems buggier then windows so far.

Ice Dragon
April 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Oh yeah I also at a command prompt typed

sudo aptitude remove nvidia-glx
sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx-new

supposedly that was suppose to fix a lot of graphics issues. I hope that was the right thing to do.

sayakb
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Wait for 2 more days unless the Next version Hardy Heron (8.04) shows up on your update manager :) Hardy would solve most of the hardware compatibility issues I suppose.

crjackson
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Now open up a terminal screen and type:

sudo nvidia-settings

Adjust your resolution from there.

billgoldberg
April 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
I would be wise to download ubuntu 8.04 the day after tomorrow.

A 1 year old version is ages in the linux world.

The newer versions have better hardware support, are safer, have more functionality, have more newer software and are easier to use.

It's always better to do a clean install (from a cd or usb stick) then upgrading.

Version 7.10 and 8.04 have compiz fusion installed by default (you only need to install the "compizconfig" manager from synaptic. And you can select your video card and ubuntu will install it for you.

Twitch6000
April 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah I would wait 2 days and get hardy heroin.You can download it on a new disc if needed.
If you must upgrade now well I would suggest first upgrading everything but to 7.10 then try.

Ub1476
April 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
You issues is due to the graphic driver. And you are using a reeeally old version of Ubuntu. If I were you, I would download the latest Ubuntu (8.04, Hardy Heron), and do a clean install of it. After it's installed, you can go to System>Administration>Hardware drivers, to install the graphic driver.

Hardy Heron will be released on thursday, but it should be usable now. It's a link to it from ubuntu.com, at the top of the page.

Ice Dragon
April 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Oh wow I didnt know there was a new one coming out in 2 days, thats great! I dont mind reinstalling completely.

Should I download the beta one now or should i wait 2 days for the final release? will the beta one simply offer downloadable updates to make it the same as the final release if i install the beta today?

Thanks for the fast repliess =)

jken146
April 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Easiest to wait.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I certainly hope that you installed Hardy when it came out.