PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] nautilus not remember folder views.

Arand
April 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Is there a way to set nautilus to reset folder view upon restart? / Not remember folder views?

I've looked through gconf and found nil.

- Arand

Hospadar
April 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Are you looking to change the default folder view? that can be done in edit->preferences. I'm not sure there's a standard way to make it forget the views (for individual folders I assume is what you mean).

If that's what you want, you'd have two options as far as I see, either just delete the entire nautilus config on boot/login, which would mean it doesn't remember any settings, or, figure out where it keeps track of which folders have what views, and write a script to clear that out every time you login. It probably wouldn't be to difficult to do with bash, a little creative grep-ing and piping as long as you figure out where it is.

Arand
April 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Alright, it seems this data is stored in /home/user/.nautilus/metadata [EDIT: Wrong, correct path is /home/user/.nautilus/metafiles]

And here deleting the file related to a certain folder will reset the settings to default for that folder, after a 'relogin' is done.

So, that'll be an easy enough script I guess, now I'll just have to find out how to autorun it at login or logout...

*Goes HowTo-hunting*

-Arand

Arand
April 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Okay, could I have someone's opinion on this before I shove it in for execution at shutdown.

This is what it looks like:

#!/bin/bash
# This is a script which deletes
# all folder-specific view-settings
# for nautilus. Excluding
# view-settings for the Desktop.
# this will only take effect in
# nautilus upon user login.
find ~/.nautilus/metafiles/ -name "file:%2F%2F%2F*.xml" -not -name "file:%2F%2F%2Fhome%2Fmw%2FDesktop.xml" | xargs -r rm

Also how exactly do I make it execute at shutdown?

Do I copy this script (after making it executable) to /ect/init.d and then just do:

sudo update-rc.d this_script start 90 0 6
??

- Arand

pelle.k
February 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM
This is an old thread, but it still deserves an answer, so...

Do I copy this script (after making it executable) to /ect/init.d and then just do:

sudo update-rc.d this_script start 90 0 6
No. That is system wide, run with escalated privilegies (e.g. root). Also ~/ would expand to /root since that is root's home folder...

What you want to do is place that script in say /usr/local/bin;

sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/nautilus-cleanup-metafiles.sh
And paste that code there. Then make it executable;

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/nautilus-cleanup-metafiles.sh
Then preferably run it at login by adding it to autostart, Preferences>Sessions>Add. Name it whatever you want, put

nautilus-cleanup-metafiles.sh
as the command to run.

Arand
February 18th, 2009, 03:19 AM
This is an old thread, but it still deserves an answer, so/.../

Tackar så mycket Pelle! :D

I made a slight modification in implementation though:

sudo chmod ug+x /usr/local/bin/nautilus-cleanup-metafiles.sh
and

sudo chown root:1000 /usr/local/bin/nautilus-cleanup-metafiles.sh
To disable other (guest account!) users than current (1000) from executing this script.

pelle.k
February 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Varsågod! :)
If that's what you're after, there are other ways of accomplishing that as well.

1. To block other than <username> (put this at the top of your script);

if [ "$(whoami)" != "<username>" ]; then
exit 1
fi

2.To block other than <user id> (put this at the top of your script);

if [ "$(id -u)" != "<user id>" ]; then
exit 1
fi

3. If you create the folder "bin" in your home directory, it's gonna be in your (and only your) $PATH, which means you can run the script from a terminal, but not anyone else (unless the specifically run /home/<username>/bin/nautilus-cleanup-metafiles.sh).
I think this last solution is the most elegant in this case.