PDA

View Full Version : Some Datamation guy tries Ubuntu

quinnten83
April 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3742066_1

So, what do you think?
Some of what he said clearly reveals that he is not exactly knowledgeable on the subject of Ubuntu, but it was a nice read.

Ub1476
April 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Too bad he didn't learn theming. Copying OS X is pretty easy:)

aeiah
April 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
it was a shame they didnt explain to him well enough that the test pc they gave him wasnt the default install (it had gnome and kde choices, which confused him as a new user. and it was PURPLE for gods sake) and its a shame he decided not to mention that open office and firefox arent apps for ubuntu, but apps for just about every desktop operating system that mac and windows users could check out. but it was alright i suppose ;)

quinnten83
April 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Well, he is obviously an Ubuntunoob! (or is that Ubunoob??)
So yeah, but if he keeps Ubuntu on his spare PC, he might learn something.
What suprises me is that he is used to have his choice taken away and that the thing that was most important to him was the looks of his hardware. He didn't even think about performance and linux being free and still doing more than MACos.

Sporkman
April 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Here's a funny quote on page 2 under "This could be Windows":

"The Linux desktop needs to eliminate that extra choice if it wants to reach a mass audience."

:lol:

-Rick-
April 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Here's a funny quote on page 2 under "This could be Windows":

"The Linux desktop needs to eliminate that extra choice if it wants to reach a mass audience."

:lol:

And don't forget
There’s a reason that Apple has always been the choice of artists and musicians. The machine itself is artful. Yeah, it’s expensive, and it crashes, but it’s artful. And that counts for a whole lot. :D

theconley
April 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Haha, that's my gf's PC...yes, indeed there is a lot of purple, and purisa fonts.

saulgoode
April 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
A nice evaluation that was well-written. Particularly refreshing to see a review that wasn't just a report on the travails of installing. I have grown weary of all the installer reviews permeating the web which leave you with no idea about the actual usage of the distro.

amazingtaters
April 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Overall it wasn't so bad. I mean sure, it was slanted somewhat, but at least the guy up and said at the start, it's gonna be slanted. Keeping that in mind, I thought it was a fair review.

Cifra
April 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Even though I think it's an onteresting viewpoint, I always twitch when I hear Apple users talk about how their operating system is cool and slick... it's just creepy.

Oh and the guy looks like a complete computer newbie. In one paragraph, he talks about virtual desktops, clearly unaware that OS X Leopard actually has this feature. Well,I hope I read it correctly. And what's with Forefx and Openoffice? It's really weird that he hasn't heard of Firefox on other platforms.

I find this article to be well written, but pretty bad on the technical side of things. It looks like as if the author hasn't got a friggin clue about computers.

Don't get me wrong, I own a MacBook, but sometimes Apple users scare me.

Sporkman
April 24th, 2008, 02:14 AM
A caveat, though, is he had an ubuntu user standing over his shoulder, showing him how to do stuff, so it wasn't a truly new user experience.

lotusblossum89
April 24th, 2008, 03:12 AM
(It was my computer), and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have gotten past the desktop otherwise.

And what's wrong with purple, anyway?

akiratheoni
April 24th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I do like how he says that the review will be biased -- making concessions like that make me respect the author even more even though the review is negative. Great article, I think. And to be honest I think any new Linux user should at least have a friend help them with it -- I know I wouldn't have let my friends try Linux without my being there. It takes away the frustration of some of the (supposed) Linux inconveniences like the command line and installing it.

King_Critter
April 24th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Wow, best review I've ever read of of any GNU/Linux distribution. I laughed out loud (yes, actually lol'd) while reading it -- that guy's a good writer.

theconley
April 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM
A caveat, though, is he had an ubuntu user standing over his shoulder, showing him how to do stuff, so it wasn't a truly new user experience.

Yea, but that Ubuntu user is my girlfriend, and she is a newbie as well. She was figuring out how to do things while she was showing him.