PDA

View Full Version : Install Ubuntu 7.01 on a Dell Optiplex GX270

captgadget
April 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
with a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor. This computer had a defective motherboard which Dell replaced. I finally got Windows2000 Professional installed and it ran really slow. I removed the nVidia video card and it seems to run faster now. Now, I'd like to format the hard drive but with Gparted I get down the video drivers and it tells me they didn't recognize so I have to select. I've chosen three different ones and finally gave up. So, I thought well install Ubuntu off my Linux Format disc. It starts up but never goes anywhere. After thirty minutes I still have the splash screen with the orange bar moving horizontally across the screen. So, I have Mandriva on disc. It's installing but it has run all night and still is not done. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I mean, like why don't these things work, and why is it taking so long? I thought if I could get Mandriva installed I could go back and install Ubuntu.

You all have a great day!!!! I'm off to work and won't be able to check anything until tonight.

aeiah
April 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
from a quick google it doesnt seem like its a problem everyone has with that optiplex (i have a similar one running xubuntu fine, but i cant tell you what model i have because im not at home). someone with that problem managed to install ubuntu via the alternative iso, maybe you can give that a go? it may be a hardware error though since you cant seem to get anything working on it. perhaps you should download a diagnostics cd and run a thorough error check on your chipset, cpu, ram etc.