PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to transfer a binary file via minicom?

cuthbertkao
April 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hi folks,

I am trying to transfer a binary file via minicom but in its "send file" options only there are only five options: zmodem, xmodem, ymodem, kermit, and ascii. In Windows XP, I can use "File->Send file" in Tera Term Pro terminal software and check its "Binary" checkbox.

Is there any body who knows how to do it? Thanks in advance.

Cuthbert

russo.mic
April 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hi folks,

I am trying to transfer a binary file via minicom but in its "send file" options only there are only five options: zmodem, xmodem, ymodem, kermit, and ascii. In Windows XP, I can use "File->Send file" in Tera Term Pro terminal software and check its "Binary" checkbox.

Is there any body who knows how to do it? Thanks in advance.

Cuthbert

Could you just mount the device to a location on your HD, then cp it over? I'm asking and suggesting at the same time!

Russo

osx424242
January 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM

I just had to do this: I ignored minicom and catted the file directly to the serial port:

cat binfile > /dev/ttyUSB0

(if your user doesn't have permissions to access the serial port (i.e. you can only access the serial port in minicom by running as root or with sudo), you'll probably get an error; try something like "cat binfile | sudo tee /dev/ttyUSB0")

You can test this before sending your binary file by echoing a command to the serial port that you expect will generate some sort of response in minicom. So, for example, I needed to send the command 'update' in minicom before uploading the file. Instead of typing "update" in minicom, I can "echo update > /dev/ttyUSB0" and the device on the serial port (seen through minicom) responded with the "send update file:" prompt that I expected to see.