PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy extremely slow video playback

xtremesupremacy3
April 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Now then, my Ubuntu is working a treat and Hardy is amazing. I have one of those pesky ATI cards that been problematic in the past and in Gutsy I had to switch between compiz and metacity in order to switch between general use and video and games.
Well, that's fixed and no longer do I need to switch. I am 1 happy guy!
But now theres a little thing that annoys me, it's making me laugh but at the same time it could do in being fixed.

When i start a video it's like slowmotion, I tried the switch to metacity and no change, its not choppy, just real slow. I somehow doubt its the players problem, but I will check.

Any of you fine people have an idea?

Arthur

------------------------------ EDIT -----------------------------------------------------

Ok for anyone who finds the same problem, or it's just me...well anyway, I discovered it WAS the players fault and running it under Totem fixed it. So all fun!

shr2004
June 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Seems someone has same problem as mine. The problem occurs sometimes, not always. Trying to play any video with any player except VLC it dead slow. And with VLC it plays, but when I stop VLC freezes, need to foce quit. For same video file, sometimes all players play perfectly. I have Movie Player, Mplayer, Kaffaine, VLC installed. Dont really understand where is the problem. Just now having the problem and I know if I logout and login again there will be no problem. Any suggestion?????

martin.devlin
August 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
I was able to fix this problem easily by removing all the compiz packages using Synaptic Ptckage manager.

Note that doing this will disable all the special effects for desktop.

I read on a post elsewhere that the problem was with XGL but I'm not sure what that means. No doubt it is possible to this problem without having to remove compiz and desktop effects.

kraymore
August 5th, 2008, 06:26 AM
i've just recently installed hardy, a fresh install, like a day or so ago, i've updated with ubuntu-restricted-extras and w32codecs. for some reason i'm suffering from two major problems, and i believe i am not the only one. video playback is horribly slow. its not acceptable. i'm also sure its not something i have not done or misconfigured. also mp3's wont play :( both these things are disturbing to me since videos and mp3s are integral to my computer use.

i'm wondering if anyone here has worked out the video playback problem? using VLC works, but without sound, and its really not acceptable.

when video playback (and mp3 playback) breaks thats really serious

just wanted to add, video playback is not working for me both using either Nvidia or ATI cards, using the proprietary display drivers.