PDA

View Full Version : New function in Forums - Social groups

bonzodog
April 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
For those of you that have not explored the new functionality of the forums, I want to make people aware that you can now be a member of a 'Social group'. This is more or less just a way of affiliating yourself with like-minded people in the forums.

Go here to see what there is available at the moment, and please don't duplicate any groups already created:
http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I'm quite curious to see how this turns out - and also quite curious why the vBulletin dev's decided this would be a good feature ;)

It'll be quite good for LUG's etc. though I guess

aimran
April 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
UF the next facebook?

notwen
April 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
UF the next facebook?

I hope not. =\

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Me too, I'm sure if it starts going that way then ubuntu-geek would disable certain features :)

kevdog
April 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Not sure if I would want to be in a group of similarly minded people. Diversity is good.

PartisanEntity
April 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Cool idea, I have created two groups, you can find them in my sig :)

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I surely don't want this to become another social networking site

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Why can anybody create Groups? Won't it become chaotic in the future with umpteen no. of Groups?

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm sure if it becomes too chaotic, they will limit who can make groups to the forum mods/admins.

I would imagine it may work better with requests for social groups being submitted to the Forum Feedback & Help section, being reviewed by the Mods/Admins, and then created.

aaaantoine
April 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Not sure if I would want to be in a group of similarly minded people. Diversity is good.

You can join groups and still be diverse. Heck, add enough groups, and no two people will be members of the same set of groups.