PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to edit files

karaju
April 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hello
I am totally new to Ubuntu and I do not know programming. While configuring network through ethernet card, I was guided to enter some strings of text and numbers in a file. When I opened Terminal to edit "/etc/network/interfaces", some text file opens. But unfortunately, I do not know how to edit the file or to be precise, I do not know how to insert text and save the file. Most of the guides presumes that users are conversent with editing files. I think a guide on basics would be of great help for persons like me.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

anaconda
April 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
You can use eg. gedit for editing those files.. gedit is easy graphical program, and if you can use ANY editor(eg. word, ooffice) you can use gedit.

Just type (in terminal)

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

eg. vi or nano can both be quite difficult editors for new users..

Humph
April 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Open a terminal window (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

Then type:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

You will then be able to edit the file pretty much like Notepad in Windows using the arrow keys, etc.

When you're finished click "Save" and you're done.

EDIT: Bah! beaten to it!

Iowan
April 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
gksudo might work better for gedit.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

billgoldberg
April 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
gksudo might work better for gedit.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

It's true that gksudo is preferred to sudo for graphical apps but in this case (with gedit) it doesn't make any difference (talking from experience).

arguellodw
April 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I might also add (from experience) that when editing configuration files, be sure to create a backup copy first. =)

Oldsoldier2003
April 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
It's true that gksudo is preferred to sudo for graphical apps but in this case (with gedit) it doesn't make any difference (talking from experience).

Ever try sudoedit? It is a "recommended" practice (in the man pages) for editing of configuration files, but OMG its a mess... unless of course you are a Vi fan in which case its just another way to get the same result.