PDA

View Full Version : How can I contribute?

Saturn357
April 22nd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Okay, so here's the deal. First of all, I'm a new Ubuntu Linux user. I've been using it for maybe close to a month now, and I completely erased Windows. After a trial of about a week, I realized that I really didn't need Windows and that everything I needed, I had in Linux so there was no need to make a partition.

But, I would like to contribute to the growth of this project. I've been telling people to give me their old computers so I could bring them back to life. A lot of them think that their computers will no longer work. I say they will as long as they are running.

I am not a technical person. I don't know the difference between Python and a car crash. Nor am I familiar with how to create drawings or art. I can write and maybe sell really well, but that's about it.

So, how do I contribute to Ubuntu, you know, just to feel better about using this wonderful system for free. Oh, and I have been learning more technical things since I made the switch, btw.

One more thing, does anyone know of a DECENT movie maker program, something that I can use with JPEG and GIF images in the GNOME environment. I've tried every one except Cinelerra, and that's only because I don't know how to compile stuff. I'll learn that, too, one of these days.

Anyways, thanks, and looking forward to welcoming Hardy Heron to my desktop soon.

Saya
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=603316 may be a bit late but it's a start.

theRightNee
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
well i hear that kino is pretty decent, but that is for you to decide

and just keep on posting, now that your part of the community, you can help us find ways to improve ubuntu (though at this point there is little left isn't there? =])

earobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
bug triage is the most needed thing

ad_267
April 22nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
You can help others out on the forums who are having trouble. Some things are pretty easy to help with.

joshrobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
forum support is always welcomed, also testing developmental versions when you get more familiar with the system
that way you can report bugs, test packages not in the regular repo's for the devs etc

Paqman
April 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
You don't need to be able to program to contribute. There's a million things you can do to help.

Help a friend install Ubuntu on their system
Write reviews/articles/guides and publish them online
Spend some time helping others on these forums
Install the next version in alpha/beta and start filing those bug reports (always worth having a spare partition handy for this!)
Help out with translating

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
You don't need to be able to program to contribute. There's a million things you can do to help.

Help a friend install Ubuntu on their system
Write reviews/articles/guides and publish them online
Spend some time helping others on these forums
Install the next version in alpha/beta and start filing those bug reports (always worth having a spare partition handy for this!)
Help out with translating

Documentation is another option. I know that Kubuntu could use some help in that area.

Actually, I believe that there's a page for this topic... Ah, yes, here it is:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

23meg
April 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu