PDA

View Full Version : Moving /home caused boot errors...

stevek123
April 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Total noob in ubuntu (7.10). i386-1000Mhz w/ 3x128MB ram, 13G HD, OLD hardware...A programmer friend, well versed in terminal (but not in gnome/gui), came over and helped me install some hardware including an additional 60G HD. We (he) moved my home folder onto the new drive - messed up a number of things as a result. Upon boot-up the system does not recog gnome and doesnt open the f7 gui. It will run in f1/terminal just fine (does me NO good - I'm clueless). I figured out that if I run gksudo nautilus in failsafe terminal and click on the new HD - it THEN sees it as the /home folder. Then i need to Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc and relog into Gnome to get it to open - sometimes need to log in twice... but it works. It looks like a number of gui/gnome files are in the /Home folder and I suspect that if I move them back to the OS HD it will run normally (=problems recognizing the new slave HD on boot-up). Then all I really need to do is move the sub-folders I want to use/fill/network back onto the slave HD and I will be fine. Problem is I have no clue how to do this without causing more problems. Seems like it should be an easy fix...help?

sdennie
April 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
It sounds like your new /home directory isn't being mounted at boot time. If you could post the contents of /etc/fstab, it should be possible to make your /home disk automatically show up when you boot your computer.

stevek123
April 22nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
It sounds like your new /home directory isn't being mounted at boot time. If you could post the contents of /etc/fstab, it should be possible to make your /home disk automatically show up when you boot your computer.

Can you tell from my orig post I still think in windows terms???:(
I think this is the log you asked to see... I've no clue what it says....(Thanks for kwik reply)

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=28f5669f-a96e-4f3d-a619-5efabcf43b61 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=5e41d5d3-b315-4403-887c-ff6750f376f9 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /home/steve auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

sdennie
April 22nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
/dev/sdb1 /home/steve auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

I think if you change "noauto" to "auto" on that line it will mount /home/steve when you boot. However, I'm not sure that will do exactly what you want. Can you post the output /proc/mounts once you have /home working? That should help narrow down the correct options.

stevek123
April 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hey-Thanks. I changed the /etc/fstab sdb1 line to read 'auto' and restarted the computer. It booted right up. I figured this was a simple fix :)

Oldsoldier2003
April 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hey-Thanks. I changed the /etc/fstab sdb1 line to read 'auto' and restarted the computer. It booted right up. I figured this was a simple fix :)

another issue is you are mounting it as /home/steve which may or may not cause additional problems in the future. you should be mounting it as /home in the fstab

stevek123
April 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
another issue is you are mounting it as /home/steve which may or may not cause additional problems in the future. you should be mounting it as /home in the fstab

When I first did this I created a backup folder /home/old_home_steve that I kept on the orig HD to make sure i didnt lose it. I then used /home/steve to specify that path and make sure new stuff went to where there was more space and stay out of the basic OS. If this can cause future issues, I am unaware of it = total noob at this. Issues how??? (Plz be gentle-I get lost in ubuntu language easily...yet ;) ). Easily fixed? rm the old... folder and rename the path to /home?