PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] headphone jack ignored on Ubuntu 8.04

tcheard
April 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'm a semi-new user of Ubuntu. Yesterday I did the upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04 on my Sony VAIO VGN-FZ17G. Anyway, when I was on Ubuntu 7.10 my headphone jack was ignored and audio was just played out of the laptop speakers, even when there was speakers plugged into the headphone jack. I did some research and fixed it with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=637799 with Fabiotc's post

Then I did the upgrade yesterday and they didn't work anymore. So I tried the same fix, but it didn't work.

Can anybody help? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

goodywitch
April 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I have the same problem (why didn't I find your post before?).

oooh
April 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
same problem here:

Solved it in 7.10 with the link detailed by tcheard above.

Now with Hardy Heron it does not work anymore.

I will try the same fix anyway and let u all know.

On the meanwhile, we can all try this, it worked for these people: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=637799&page=2

oooh
April 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Solved !

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=637799&page=2

goodywitch
April 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
how do you alter the alsa-base file? When I try to save changes, it says I'm not allowed to do so? (um, ultra-newb?)

+Synyster
April 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
how do you alter the alsa-base file? When I try to save changes, it says I'm not allowed to do so? (um, ultra-newb?)

type the following command in the terminal

gksudo gedit etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

you should be able to edit it then

goodywitch
April 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I'm going to come out of this thing feeling like a dunce. Does the order (opening the alsa-base file vs using the terminal first) matter? Because I still get:

"You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

After I edit the file, which I did after typing what you said into the terminal.

I'm confused by the permissions. I'm username@username in the terminal, and I"m the only user on this computer. It won't let me log on as root (I can see why). When I change to root in terminal, it goes away if I close it, and it doesn't seem to raise what I can do outside the terminal. The fix is so simple too, if I can manage to save it.

Thanks in advance for the patience to explain this to me :-)
(I should post in the beginner's section, but it started out as relevant to this conversation, and got sidetracked. :-/ )

krantix
April 27th, 2008, 01:21 AM
same problem here with toshiba p100 and hda-intel conexant venice...

adding the line to alsa-base does not work :-(

oooh
May 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Have you tried to do EXACTLY this in your terminal?:

sudo gedit etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

It should ask you for a password, and once the password is accepted then open the gedit in SU mode. Then you will be able to exit the gedit saving the file WITHOUT nay trouble.

tcheard
June 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Thank you very much. The edit of the alsa base worked for me. That has made my day! Its been bugging me for ages! Thanks