PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to remove upgrade manager icon

faust99
April 22nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
I just downgraded Audacity to version 1.3.3 because I couldn't get the upgraded version to playback. Now I have the orange update icon/applet constantly informing me of an upgrade I don't want. Could anyone suggest how to get rid of it?? :confused:

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
That will notify you of updates, since you downgraded a pckage its waiting to be upgraded. Aptitude is a package manager though, what was it bothering you with exactly?

You can use hold, that could help you hide those unwanted updates. To hold a package open a terminal and type:

sudo aptitude hold <package-name>
replacing <package-name> with the package's name.

faust99
April 22nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
That will notify you of updates, since you downgraded a pckage its waiting to be upgraded. Aptitude is a package manager though, what was it bothering you with exactly?

Oops, sorry that was a typo. I mean to write 'Audacity', not 'Aptitude'

You can use hold, that could help you hide those unwanted updates. To hold a package open a terminal and type:

sudo aptitude hold <package-name>
replacing <package-name> with the package's name.

Thank you; will give it a go.

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
I hope it works. Theres probably a solution other than just hiding the icon. Hiding the icon will not only not tell you when there are upgrades, but if you ever happent o upgrade your system, audacity will be upgraded again and you will have to downgrade it once more.

faust99
April 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I've put it on hold through aptitude but the icon is still there...

BUT...

locking the package through synaptic has seemingly removed the update icon...