PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Configuring a remote server

DavidCain
April 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Okay, I'm not very good with networking, which is why I'm posting a probably very simple question here.

We have a remote server set up in our basement and I'm trying to gain access to it. Normally, if I were running Windows, I'd open up a command prompt and type, "net use z: //SOFT-FS-01\d$ /user:SOFT-FS-01\ecain [password]" and this would, obviously, set up a drive as D$ that would allow me access to the server. I'm very new to Ubuntu, but pretty techno-savvy. Is there something I can do in the terminal to give me similar results? Thanks.

sammy_pal
April 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Do you want to access shared files from the remote server?
In that case you can use nautilus to mount remote samba shares or mount from cli as smbfs
For that install smbfs and smbclient

sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclientView available shares using

smbclient -L SOFT-FS-01 -U%Make a new folder and mount the samba share

mkdir share
sudo smbmount //SOFT-FS-01/share ~/share -o username=[username],password=[password],uid=1000,mask=000
replace //SOFT-FS-01/share with the name of your shared folder

Iowan
April 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
One of the links in my signature tells how to mount Samba shares - Samba client should already be installed on the machine. Also, smbfs is being (or has been) replaced by cifs.

DavidCain
April 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM
While I appreciate your help, I'm mostly trying to access the files already on the server, not so much create a shared directory for me to use later. How can I do that?
*edit*
Haha, okay, I got it. I think you guys were just overthinking my question. All I had to do was open Nautilus, navigate to smb://SOFT-FS-01 and input my username and password. I'm a Linux noob, still learning. =) Thanks for the help!

dmizer
April 25th, 2008, 06:24 AM
you have to create a new folder on your ubuntu machine, because your share will need a place to cache the remote server's contents.

second link in my sig outlines how to mount remote windows shares both manually and permanently.

DavidCain
April 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I accessed the server's contents through Nautilus, and I'm copying the contents now (~100 GB of music). Do I really need to do anything more? I don't plan on using this for future storage, since I have 320GB hard drive space now.

dmizer
April 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
with that much data, you may run into problems with dropping packets and server diconnections if you mount via nautilus. you'll also get much better speeds if you follow my howto, but the important thing is that you accomplish what you need so if nautilus works for you ... fantastic.