PDA

View Full Version : Bug in the new theme

mssever
April 22nd, 2008, 04:50 AM
Congrats on the upgrade. I realize that there are still changes coming, but I wanted to point out a bug in the new theme. Since I didn't see it addressed in the FAQ, I thought I'd post it here.

Many form controls, such as buttons, drop-down menus, and <input type="text" /> boxes are less than optimal. First, they're hard to distinguish, since the contrast between the button/whatever and the page background is too low. Second, because they don't follow the standard widget design pattern, they're not immediately recognizable as what they are. For example, buttons nearly universally have a 3D raised effect, but the buttons here are flat. Text boxes nearly universally have an inset effect; here, they're outset, which makes them liik like something other than what they are.

Usability expert Jakob Neilson (useit.com) frequently advises against using nonstandard controls, because they often confuse people. Since I'm a regular here, I imagine that I'll get used to the nonstandard controls fairly quickly. But what about people who are new around here or only occasional visitors?

mssever
April 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
One other thing I noticed: Links don't seem to be underlined anymore. Please bring that back. I remember a similar problem a theme change or two ago; at least I can manually add [u] around the links in my signature.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
ubuntu-geek has worked for hours on this theme, and he will continue to do so. Give it time.

You should have seen it before!

mssever
April 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
And I appreciate all his hard work. I don't want to seem critical, but I know that I appreciate bug reports filed against my software.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
And I appreciate all his hard work. I don't want to seem critical, but I know that I appreciate bug reports filed against my software.

Yes, he asked for us to look it over many times. We (the limited staff) found many little things. I imagine that there is a lot we didn't see in our fooling around (yes, as it was just a test site, we posted the most idiotic things and kept moving each others threads around)

klange
April 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Buttons and list also lack a set text color, and my theme makes them white - which makes them impossible to read. You can't always expect them to be black by default and should therefore always set a font color if you set a background color.

hardyn
April 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Is the "my previous posts" going to come back?

I kinda like seeing replys to my post, used that menu pick daily.

Thanks.