PDA

View Full Version : Grub to KDM help

garrowolf
April 22nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
I want to be able to pass arguments from the Grub to KDM so that I can have all my different desktop types listed in my grub and only have one place to make a selection instead of two.

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 04:28 AM
As far as I know, this is not possible without just doing separate linux installs and having each of them default to a different desktop environment.
I think GRUB can only do boot options for the kernel and a few other options. However, you don't need to reboot in order to get to a different desktop environment, you just need to log out, then choose the new session you want to use, then log back in.

garrowolf
April 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
so you can't start a script from Grub?

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 05:16 AM
To my knowledge, no. You can set scripts to run at boot time, but that is a little different than what you want. Let me seek some advice on this.

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
AFAIK, you can't do that. It would be interesting to see if someone cna come up with a solution though.

vkbidve
August 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
No, you can't do so. Grub can pass arguments (options - bootargs) to linux KERNEL but not to the desktop environment. To do so, as Rocket2DMn suggested, you just need to log-off and log back in in desired desktop environment. Alternatively, you can set KDE as your default DE and each time you will get KDM login screen.