PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Emachines Desktop Problems

shaddy
April 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
Hi, I have an Emachines computer (refurbished) and Windows Vista (sadly). I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and made a Live CD, but when I boot using it and select the option to run Ubuntu from the disk, it screws up... It starts printing a few lines on a black screen, then the display flickers for a bit and occasionally I'll see oddly coloured bands or messed up looking versions of the Ubuntu logo (crazy pixely colours) and then it'll bring me to a blue screen tha says that my display has been turned off 6 times within the past 2 mintutes. From there I press OK and it does the same thing over until I turn off my computer. I've used this Live CD to install Ubuntu on a different computer so I know it does work, but it won't on my Emachines desktop computer. Also, even if I try this in "Safe Graphics Mode" or any other option that runs the Live CD it still messes up.
I have a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 single-core processor, 1.5GB of RAM, and an ATI X1600 graphics card. I'm assuming that the graphics card is conflicting with Ubuntu, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any advice!

phidia
April 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM
Take a look at the 1st post here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=515573).
You can try and get a CLI to work in, when X fails to start, by pressing the Alt+Ctrl+F1 keys and then type sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg or if you have internet working you might try to use apt-get to install the fglrx driver. Hope that helps.

shaddy
April 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I tried all that and then I was back at the screen where I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F1 to get to and I don't know what to type to make it keep loading from the Live CD and continue on like it would have....