PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] thinking of buying a Lenovo T61

waldorf
April 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
Curious if anyone cares to give me their opinion on the T61.

More specifically I'm trying to choose between the nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M and the Intel GMA X3100 GM965.

Are there driver issues with either one?

I'm not a gamer, but work at this machine all day so I want a really crisp and bright display!

I also really like my wobbly windows and springing unminimize windows in compiz to be snappy and smooth.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

pastormick
April 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
This one's a no-brainer... T61 with a nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M here - no issues, no problems, using nVidia restricted drivers. Seriously, though; if you get your hands on a T61 you won't regret it. :D

Mick

waldorf
April 22nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
Mick, Thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like I've found my machine!

dedmonds
April 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
I have the T61 with the nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, and I've had no issues whatsoever. I'm a big fan of the ThinkPad T-series line.

remotedevice
April 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Glad to hear there are happy T61 owners out there running Ubuntu. I've got a new T61 with the 140m graphics and have been holding off on installing Ubuntu basically because I'm concerned that Suspend to RAM isn't working reliably. I'm a very mobile user and really need Suspend to work 100 percent of the time. What are your experiences, tips, etc? Any other hiccups I should be aware of, or should I dive into ubuntu now? Also, I'd be curious to know which distro of Ubuntu works best for other T61ers.

Thanks!

mariner09
May 5th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I have a T61, but with the Intel chips...

I've been running Hardy for about a month and it's been great. Suspend/resume worked little tinkering.

It's a great machine...

djs_uk
May 5th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on a newly purchased T61. I liked that the nvidia drivers could be installed with one or two clicks. I'm still adjusting to the T61 though. Previously I've had the T41, and its keyboard was much better.

So far the only problem I've noticed with running Ubuntu on my T61 is that the capslock light is not working under X windows. I.e., if I press capslock, the LED does illuminate (however characters are echoed in uppercase). This seems to be a problem with X, since the LED works from a pure terminal, and also works at the login prompt. Very odd.

Oh, another problem I've had is that xine / totem / vlc have all the colors wrong when playing DVDs. The video is very blueish. This problem is intermittent too. Definitely something to do with the software.