PDA

View Full Version : Apple Hardware Support Forum Merged

cyberdork33
April 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Why did you merge the two forums into one? Intel and PPC Macs are very different from each other.

-grubby
April 22nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
Yes, perhaps you could make a "apple hardware support" forum and put PPC as a sub forum and Intel as another?

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM
They will have prefixes.

blurg
April 22nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
They will have prefixes.

Is there any rationale behind merging them in the first place? - the two machine types have very little in common hardware-wise, and its not apparent that there is any benefit from the merger. As for the prefix idea, I presume you are going to find some way to force people to choose one prefix or the other because otherwise they won't know to, or they'll forget to.

stream303
April 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Actually, all we need is one PPC prefix, and we can assume that the rest will be Intel.

cyberdork33
April 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
They will have prefixes.Any progress on this? I noticed some additional prefixes were added, but nothing relating to PPC vs Intel.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Any progress on this? I noticed some additional prefixes were added, but nothing relating to PPC vs Intel.

Beats me, I just got up and I am not an admin.

oswaldkelso
April 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Another shout for a ppc prefix

cyberdork33
April 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Another shout for a ppc prefixor just split the forum again...

oswaldkelso
April 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM
or just split the forum again...

Yes or that :)

There are already posts marked all variants that have no relevance tp ppc

ssam
April 25th, 2008, 09:58 PM
there are some more comments at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762214

cyberdork33
April 27th, 2008, 05:04 PM
bumping because this is still an issue.

ssam
April 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
please can we have an official response on the issue.

thanks
sam

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
please can we have an official response on the issue.

thanks
sam

I will notify the admins. As I recall, only the PPC/Intel prefixes were supposed to be in that forum.

cyberdork33
May 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
bump

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I brought it up, and it seems that the prefixes are maintained for that whole chunk of forum ("Main Support Categories")

For Intel/PPC use tags, and put it in the title.

cyberdork33
May 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
For Intel/PPC use tags, and put it in the title.
That's not as easy to do as it is to say. We have already tried to implement that at least for the time being, but when a new user comes in, they do not know to do that.

Do the two forums really have to be merged? I don't understand why two completely different types of hardware (other than the fact that Apple made them) are being grouped together. It makes it difficult to support because we have to go through the process of figuring out if they are on PPC or Intel before deciding if we can even help them or not. Is there a way we can do an even further subforum or something?

Skeeve42
May 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Please split! I want no stinkin' Intel stuff!

;-) Just kidding.

I think it's better to split. I'm new here and so I can tell you that a newbie won't know that he needs to set some prefix. I didn't know, when I posted my questions.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
That's not as easy to do as it is to say. We have already tried to implement that at least for the time being, but when a new user comes in, they do not know to do that.

Do the two forums really have to be merged? I don't understand why two completely different types of hardware (other than the fact that Apple made them) are being grouped together. It makes it difficult to support because we have to go through the process of figuring out if they are on PPC or Intel before deciding if we can even help them or not. Is there a way we can do an even further subforum or something?

I know.

I cannot control that though, I am just a mod.

cyberdork33
May 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I cannot control that though, I am just a mod.
I understand... I am not trying to blame you or anything, just voicing my opinion here. You have more pull than me anyway. I am sure! ;)

blurg
May 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Please can we just split them back out again? It made so much more sense the old way and there is absolutely no way to enforce the PPC/Intel prefix thing.

Since the merger the forums have become so much harder to get useful info out of!

Pretty please? :) we'll be ever so good!

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I understand... I am not trying to blame you or anything, just voicing my opinion here. You have more pull than me anyway. I am sure! ;)

Perhaps they will see this and make some changes.

stream303
May 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Oddly enough, we have demonstrated in true Ubuntu spirit that we are united in our desires to be separate, only from a convenience standpoint, and not from any sort of desire to be isolationist.

Our communications here demonstrate that both camps support each other, due to the quirks of installation and operation, yet each is unique enough to warrant their own forum as in the past to get help to those who need it in the fastest way possible.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Oddly enough, we have demonstrated in true Ubuntu spirit that we are united in our desires to be separate, only from a convenience standpoint, and not from any sort of desire to be isolationist.

Our communications here demonstrate that both camps support each other, due to the quirks of installation and operation, yet each is unique enough to warrant their own forum as in the past to get help to those who need it in the fastest way possible.

Let the FC know...

cyberdork33
May 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Let the FC know...
and the best way to do that is...?

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
and the best way to do that is...

The most official way is to go to the FC meeting.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda

Another way of getting quicker attention is to post in the Resolution Centre.

mips
May 2nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Merging PPC & Intel MAc forums makes no sense whatsoever and I dont even own a mac.

mandyb
May 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
I've used these forums for G3 Powerbooks, G3 iMacs, and G3 eMacs helping people get up-to-date and useful stuff on older machines. Trying my best to get used to the merged forums, but it is a lot harder now to glean useful info. I don't really know anything about Intel Macs so I can't say with certainty, BUT it seems like they will have a much harder time too and would have a bigger pool of useful solutions in the regular forums.
Mandy B

jimwg
May 7th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Greetings!

Hope I'm in the right forum, if not please notify me where it should go! Thank you!!

I have a 900mHz G3 iBook with maxed Ram and I'd like to know whether it's possible to run Feisty or Edgy or Gutsy (the latest possible) on a bootable 1gig flash drive. I want to run my iBook cool this spring and summer and if I can run it totally off the flash drive I'd in a sense have an all solid-state set up with no long running hot moving parts. Is there a way to get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks!

James Greenidge

KiwiNZ
May 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM
My initial thoughts are that what we have now is OK.

cyberdork33
May 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Greetings!

Hope I'm in the right forum, if not please notify me where it should go! Thank you!!

I have a 900mHz G3 iBook with maxed Ram and I'd like to know whether it's possible to run Feisty or Edgy or Gutsy (the latest possible) on a bootable 1gig flash drive. I want to run my iBook cool this spring and summer and if I can run it totally off the flash drive I'd in a sense have an all solid-state set up with no long running hot moving parts. Is there a way to get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks!Please post in the Apple support forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328

My initial thoughts are that what we have now is OK.
It is very difficult to support two completely different types of hardware under one forum. Do you have a Mac? Do you regularly enter the Apple forum?

popch
May 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
It is very difficult to support two completely different types of hardware under one forum. Do you have a Mac? Do you regularly enter the Apple forum?

Have you had a look at the forum called Hardware & Laptops? These are more than two completely different types of hardware.

LaRoza
May 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Have you had a look at the forum called Hardware & Laptops? These are more than two completely different types of hardware.

The Apple forums used to be for PPC and Intel, which are very different (and still different from regular IBM clones). The mixing of them, IMO, has negated the purpose of an Apple forum.

popch
May 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
The Apple forums used to be for PPC and Intel, which are very different (and still different from regular IBM clones). The mixing of them, IMO, has negated the purpose of an Apple forum.

I can see that the PPC and the Intel Apples are different beasts. Yet, when you need to find something either PPC or Intel Apple related, you have to ignore half of the threads, on average, assuming that no PPC related topic can apply to an Intel Apple and vice versa.

OTOH, if I am looking for something particular to - say - an HP laptop or a tablet PC, I have to skip something on the order of 90 percent of all threads. Yet I would think that there are not so many more PPC Apple laptops than HP laptops.

While you can argue that merging the two fruity forums amounts to a deterioration of service, you will still find more topics much faster than a great many owners of other gear.

cyberdork33
May 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM
OTOH, if I am looking for something particular to - say - an HP laptop or a tablet PC, I have to skip something on the order of 90 percent of all threads. Yet I would think that there are not so many more PPC Apple laptops than HP laptops.the difference being that HP, Dell, etc pretty much all have a BIOS, use an MBR partition table, and have the same processor arch, etc. All the apple machines are very different in the underlying system.

So let's go further and determine why there is a "Ubuntu Dell" forum if they are the same as non-Ubuntu Dell machines... or System76 even. I mean there is a whole forum for WUBI... and that is just an installer!

I don't understand why we have to argue to separate the forums, when they were already separated, and for some reason they were merged together for no apparent reason. Honestly, I would just like to know why it was changed in the first place since it really doesn't make any sense to do so.

ssam
May 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
There is a Forum Council IRC meeting this saturday where this will be discussed. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda

I will probably not be able to be in it, so does someone else want to make the case of an unmerge, as well as bringing up the multidistro powerpc forum.

stream303
May 28th, 2008, 01:06 AM
So let's go further and determine why there is a "Ubuntu Dell" forum if they are the same as non-Ubuntu Dell machines... or System76 even. I mean there is a whole forum for WUBI... and that is just an installer!

Or a Sparc forum that since the new reorganization has a total of EIGHT threads in it! I don't want to see it go away, and am glad it is there, but I'm sure many Sparc users know where to get necessary info other than here.

When it comes to PPC or Intel Macs, a new user who is sitting at an openfirmware prompt needs an efficient way to solve his problem fast so he/she can get their "Linux for Human Beings" up and running. It isn't "Linux for gray-beards". :)

Yes, PPC is a hot-potato, and I hope that we don't get shutdown by thinking we are only here to try and get back commercial support. Far from it - it is well understood that it is a port by now. All we are asking for is a more efficient way to serve new users with odd hardware. No books or magazines even touch the ppc / intel mac installation issues as far as I'm aware, so a large part of support is right here in the forum(s) - and it should be easy and direct by separating the two.

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Or a Sparc forum that since the new reorganization has a total of EIGHT threads in it! I don't want to see it go away, and am glad it is there, but I'm sure many Sparc users know where to get necessary info other than here.

Perhaps we should have a forum for non PC hardware (for PPC, Intel Mac's, Sun Sparcs, etc) with prefixes for each one. So instead of an "Apple" forum and a "Sun Sparc" forum, we'd have a single forum with prefixes showing which is which.

cyberdork33
May 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
No books or magazines even touch the ppc / intel mac installation issues as far as I'm aware, so a large part of support is right here in the forum(s) - and it should be easy and direct by separating the two.
I'd have to say that we are one of the leaders in support for Intel Macs here. with gentoo and debian coming in close, but we cater more to the new linux users.

I don't want to make this into another mod criticism thread, but it seems to me that the number of users (and thus posts) is growing rapidly here, but the number of mods isn't and making it more difficult to get the specific help that is needed for these platforms is not going to make the mods/staff/admin jobs any easier. (You guys do an awesome job BTW).

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I don't want to make this into another mod criticism thread, but it seems to me that the number of users (and thus posts) is growing rapidly here, but the number of mods isn't and making it more difficult to get the specific help that is needed for these platforms is not going to make the mods/staff/admin jobs any easier. (You guys do an awesome job BTW).

There are about 40 total staff I think.

The staff numbers will grow in time, I don't know when though.

-grubby
May 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM
There are about 40 total staff I think.

The staff numbers will grow in time, I don't know when though.

Don't they usually hire new mods every release?

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Don't they usually hire new mods every release?

I guess so. A new release comes out every six months. I have been a mod for a about three. So it seems like I was hired (I like that, it makes it sound like I am getting money) in the middle of releases.

-grubby
May 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I guess so. A new release comes out every six months. I have been a mod for a about three. So it seems like I was hired (I like that, it makes it sound like I am getting money) in the middle of releases.

Well I'm thinking they usually hire new moderators before the rush of members comes in for the new release. They're just preparing early :)

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Well I'm thinking they usually hire new moderators before the rush of members comes in for the new release. They're just preparing early :)

Yes, I think they do. It is hectic before a release and it isn't a good time to be new. Right in between when things are "calm" would be a good time to get new forum monkeys on board.

-grubby
May 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Yes, I think they do. It is hectic before a release and it isn't a good time to be new. Right in between when things are "calm" would be a good time to get new forum monkeys on board.

Yah, I can imagine how scary that'd be. You're a new mod and bunches of new users are yelling at you. I can't imagine that being fun.

cyberdork33
May 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
anyway, my point was, making information more difficult to find will only lead to more misplaced threads, more of the same questions, etc. Being a mod here already looks tough as it is.

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM
anyway, my point was, making information more difficult to find will only lead to more misplaced threads, more of the same questions, etc. Being a mod here already looks tough as it is.

Luckily, none of us use that forum much so we don't care (jk)

I did voice my opinion that they would do well to be separated, or at least have distinct prefixes, but it was decided (at the time) that tags would be used for that. The next FC meeting has this on the agenda. I believe it has a very good premise and would benefit the Ubuntu support on this forum. If I remember to go (again...), I'll support the motion.

cyberdork33
May 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Luckily, none of us use that forum much so we don't care (jk)

I did voice my opinion that they would do well to be separated, or at least have distinct prefixes, but it was decided (at the time) that tags would be used for that. The next FC meeting has this on the agenda. I believe it has a very good premise and would benefit the Ubuntu support on this forum. If I remember to go (again...), I'll support the motion.
i am planning to attend (if I can), but it is a pretty bad time.

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
i am planning to attend (if I can), but it is a pretty bad time.

Better than last time, where no one showed up. (Everyone forgot...)