PDA

View Full Version : Permission denied

bengar
April 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
When I drag and drop a file from a cd the extracted file take this form, with a lock upside the icon.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2z7n6ma.png

The problem is, that It doesn't can be send to the trash bin and the following message appear

Unable to trash file: Permission denied

What do I need to do to resolved this now and on the future.

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
If you are deleting it, you can chown the folder recursively, then delete it

sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername ~/Desktop/foldername
Use TAB to autofill the folder name, otherwise remember the \ escape character for spaces (or wrap the whole path in quotes).
That is the safest way to do it, but you can also use rm -rf combined with sudo, but you must be very careful with that command since it is dangerous if used incorrectly.

The reason the folder is locked is because you don't own it, it is probably owned by root.

russo.mic
April 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
When I drag and drop a file from a cd the extracted file take this form, with a lock upside the icon.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2z7n6ma.png

The problem is, that It doesn't can be send to the trash bin and the following message appear

What do I need to do to resolved this now and on the future.

So, The lock just means that it's been copied over as a file you don't have permissions to delete. to solve this,

1. right click on the file, hit properties, and go the permissions tab, and enable the proper permissions, which may or may not work depending on what there set at now, or

2. what will def. work is for you to open up a terminal, and type
sudo rm -r ~/Desktop/[name of directory].

RM is for remove, -r is for recursive (all files and subfolders within this folder), and sudo for execute as superuser. it'll prompt you for your password. the ~ is to denote your home directory, then /Desktop is the folder in which your desktop lives.

Good Luck!

Russo

skrribble
April 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
if you need to delete something that you supposedly don't have permission to, and you know that it won't affect the system, in the terminal type:

sudo nautilus
and from that window browse to the file and delete it. that command gives you root permissions to the files.

bengar
April 22nd, 2008, 04:53 AM
So, The lock just means that it's been copied over as a file you don't have permissions to delete. to solve this,

1. right click on the file, hit properties, and go the permissions tab, and enable the proper permissions, which may or may not work depending on what there set at now, or

2. what will def. work is for you to open up a terminal, and type
sudo rm -r ~/Desktop/[name of directory].

RM is for remove, -r is for recursive (all files and subfolders within this folder), and sudo for execute as superuser. it'll prompt you for your password. the ~ is to denote your home directory, then /Desktop is the folder in which your desktop lives.

Good Luck!

Russo

Rocket
I tried that but I don't know why is not working, this is what I got.

bengar@bengar-desktop:~$ sudo chown -R bengar:bengar ~/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook
chown: cannot access `/home/bengar/Desktop/Libros': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Angeles': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Y': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Demonios': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `-': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Dan': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Brown': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Spanish': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Audiobook': No such file or directory

Russo
I tried this, I don't know if the path is correct:

~$ sudo rm -r ~/home/bengar/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook
rm: cannot remove `/home/bengar/home/bengar/Desktop/Libros': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Angeles': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Y': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Demonios': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `-': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Dan': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Brown': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Spanish': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `Audiobook': No such file or directory

skrribble

I tried your method and it works, but when i browse I don't see the audio book folder showing a clear desktop.

Thanks guy for be patience, I f is possible to explain me what i did wrong will be appreciated.

bengar

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
That is why I said to use the \ escape character or wrap it in quotes. The command should be

sudo chown -R bengar:bengar "~/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook"
or

sudo chown -R bengar:bengar ~/Desktop/Libros\ Angeles\ Y\ Demonios\ -\ Dan\ Brown\ -\ Spanish\ -\ Audiobook

Same would apply for using the sudo rm -r command (but be careful to use it correctly)

bengar
April 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
That is why I said to use the \ escape character or wrap it in quotes. The command should be

sudo chown -R bengar:bengar "~/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook"
or

sudo chown -R bengar:bengar ~/Desktop/Libros\ Angeles\ Y\ Demonios\ -\ Dan\ Brown\ -\ Spanish\ -\ Audiobook

Same would apply for using the sudo rm -r command (but be careful to use it correctly)

Thank you Rocket2DMn
I applied both command and these are the result, is like the folder does not be there.

bengar@bengar-desktop:~$ sudo chown -R bengar:bengar "~/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook"
chown: cannot access `~/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook': No such file or directory

bengar@bengar-desktop:~$ sudo chown -R bengar:bengar ~/Desktop/Libros\ Angeles\ Y\ Demonios\ -\ Dan\ Brown\ -\ Spanish\ -\ Audiobook
chown: cannot access `/home/bengar/Desktop/Libros Angeles Y Demonios - Dan Brown - Spanish - Audiobook': No such file or directory

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Have you tried using

sudo nautilus
as skrribble suggested? For security's sake, it should actually be

gksudo nautilus
Then navigate to /home/bengar/Desktop and delete the folder from there.

Did you try using TAB in terminal to autofill the name?

cd ~/Desktop
sudo chown -R bengar:bengar Lib[press TAB now]

bengar
April 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Okay guys, thank you very much for your help I did it, yeaaah.
This was what I did.
1 Select Place, then home
2 Select to the left Items desktop
3 The file was there with the lock
4 I select it with a right click, as Russo said, I select delete, the lock's icon go away.
5 Return to the main desktop, right click on the icon, select trash and that's all folks.

bengar

bengar
April 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
How can Mark this Thread as [SOLVED] the Thread tools doesn't show me to mark it.

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM
How can Mark this Thread as [SOLVED] the Thread tools doesn't show me to mark it.

Hrrm, they just did a major forum upgrade and it seems things have changed, I can't figure out how to mark a thread as [SOLVED] either!

austicorn
August 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM
:ks
if you need to delete something that you supposedly don't have permission to, and you know that it won't affect the system, in the terminal type:

sudo nautilusand from that window browse to the file and delete it. That command gives you root permissions to the files.

austicorn
August 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM
:ks thanks, a lot.