PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi setup of Ubuntu 8.04

DaveHill
April 22nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Hi,

I tried the Wubi setup (8.04)on my WIndows XP Professional SP2 machine and everything went great . . .except I have no internet connection. This Wubi setup installs Ubuntu as a piece of software which I can remove from WIndows Add Remove Programs and makes it easy in case things go terribly wrong.

I was first kind of surprised that the setup simply didn't clone or copy my WIndows IP settings and simply set up automatically as does, for example the current SUSE and Mandriva Live CD's. I mean, why wouldn't it set up automatically?, especially since the whole setup process is pretty much automated. Why not automate the Internet settings process, too?

Anyway, I tried to manually configure the Static IP address Subnet Mask and Gateway, and the DNS settings, copying these from Network settings in Windows. Nothing. Still doesn't work. Of course the method by which you can set these parameters is slightly different in Ubuntu, and since I'm new at it, how would I know what to do? Is there a SIMPLE, non-jargoned walk-through?

Can somebody help? I'd like to use this new release for a time and the internet is a must while I'm learning. Thank you. :)

DaveHill

dukejib
April 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hello Dave,

Check out this post
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

I hope, it will be helpful to your problem.

Ciao.:popcorn:

DaveHill
April 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hello Duke,

Thanks for the reply. The fix is for a wireless connection and it sure looked complicated to me! Mine is a normal, wired set up at work and all computers are on an assigned static IP address.

I figured that Ubuntu, like Mandriva and SUSE would set up the connection automatically - since WIndows XP on this machine has all the connections set up - but this did not happen.

The manual settings applet looks simple enough but there are other settings which I'm not sure about and I have no idea how to get it there.

I tried PCLinux - Gnome and that interface requires about 5 clicks to set up the internet connection and it's mostly automated. Ubuntu should be, too, I'm thinking.

I will have to try the Live CD version, instead.

Thanks again, though. :)

DH