PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen saver or power management trouble?

k66473
April 22nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Ubuntu7.10
ATI Radeon xpress 1100

When I left the laptop for about 10 minutes, the screen turn to blank. I tried some options in screen saver and power management to disable that function but no success. Even when I play DVDrip movies, the screen turns to blank after some minutes too. That makes me a little uncomfortable ( I must move the mouse every 10 minutes when watching the movies).

Please help me to solve this problem.

abhiroopb
April 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Have you tried this:

System>Preferences>Power Management

Change Display: Put display to sleep when inactive for: NEVER

k66473
April 23rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
Yep, I put that setting to NEVER in both source: AC power and battery
and the display still acts so strange. That is why I posted this post here.
Regards.

t1n0m3n
April 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Not an answer to your question, but I use the Power Manager Inhibit Applet to watch movies and other stuff that I don't want the power management kicking in on.

querent
August 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM
I'm having this problem too. A local techie told me that 'suspend' doesn't work well on a lot of machines at the machine level or the bios level or something. Answers are appreciated.

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 02:43 AM
I had to disable the power management too, not worth the trouble

tired of MS
August 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm having similar problem (Ubuntu 8.04). I've set power management to 'never' for both, but after about 30 minutes of idle time it won't come out of screensaver or sleep, have to shutdown and restart.
All had worked fine until about a week ago when I deleted Evolution using Synaptic package manager and it deleted I guess too much. Would boot up to my background only, no taskbar or desktop items. In a slow process have gotten most everything back but the shutdown/sleep problem. The Forum was a saver!
Here's hoping someone has a solution!:(