PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Thinks its the Home Directory

SILLAT
April 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
couple days back i got some updates from ubutu an as usual i installed them an evry things ok . . tonight wen i turn on my pc all of my folders that was in my home folder eg. Music Document, an program files are all spead out over my desktop . . my destop is full of folders like music, gpass,rkhunter and so much more other files that was in my home folder.
when i got to places --> Home folder i see desktop filesystem music an all them other folder yet still they r on my desk top ...
i didnt copy any of them to my desktop and if i delete any of the folders on my desktop they completely move off the system...
another thing if i try to create a file in my home directory it goes straight to my desktop
why is that so? does anyone kno wat caused this or wat happen can it be fixed...i'm kinda new to ubuntu can i get som simplified steps to fix this problem

Vadi
April 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
I don't know what caused that, but I know Ubuntu Tweak has an option to enable that. So getting it and disabling that option could do the trick:

http://ubuntu-tweak.googlecode.com/files/ubuntu-tweak_0.2.10-1%7Eppa1_all.deb

Then go to applications - system tools - ubuntu tweak, desktop, desktop icons, and disable "use home folder as desktop".

SILLAT
April 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
i hav ubuntu tweak already installed . .
jus tried wat u said but the box is already UNCHECKED
got anymore ideas:(

3rdalbum
April 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
Have you maybe been playing around with gconf-editor?

Press Alt-F2 and type in "gconf-editor". Press Ok. In the left panel, go to apps > nautilus > preferences.

In the right-pane, you'll see an option called "desktop_is_home_dir". This should have a tick in a box next to it. Click that little box and everything should go back to normal.

SILLAT
April 22nd, 2008, 03:56 AM
thnx man but that dont seem to work either
take a look at this thread here (below): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=757894&highlight=desktop+thinks+home
see if u can simplify it a bit so i can understand and try it

laffinet
April 22nd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Alright, to translate that other post into easy chunks:

- open a terminal (Alt+F2)

go to /home/[username]

cd /home/[username]

enter

mkdir Desktop

go to /home/[username]/.config

cd /home/[username]/.config

edit user-dirs.dirs