PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 install keeps freezing

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
I've burnt 2 install cds and the install gets all the way to select and install software and freezes at 80%. Same on both disc's. What could this mean. 7.10 installed ok on the same setup. I'm trying to do a fresh install with 8.04 and it's the only thing on the drive. please help.

overdrank
April 22nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
I've burnt 2 install cds and the install gets all the way to select and install software and freezes at 80%. Same on both disc's. What could this mean. 7.10 installed ok on the same setup. I'm trying to do a fresh install with 8.04 and it's the only thing on the drive. please help.

Hi and have you checked the cd for errors? If you are using the live cd then may choose the alternate cd for installation.

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Yeah I'm already using the alternate cd. Does that mean I should try the liveCD?

overdrank
April 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah I'm already using the alternate cd. Does that mean I should try the liveCD?

Hi and you may check the cd for errors and then try the live cd and download from another location.

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
the CD Checked out ok. It gave me the valid result. I'll try the live CD but I figured the alternate was the safe way to go. If the live CD doesn't work is there any other way to install? Say through the command line or something.

articpenguin
April 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
how fast are you burning the disks? try burning the discs at a lower speed say 4x or 8x.

charles
April 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah - similar problem here - it gets a 1/4 the way into the load, freezes for a few minutes, then continues on and starts up a desktop - with an 'HAL failed to init' error - and no more action. Discs test fine - and install beautifully on the next machine along the desk........

rasmus91
April 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
If you're using th live cd, ram can be the problem.
and you should try using the text installer.

if you're using the text installer, try the live cd.

Haven't got much expertise on this problem since i haven't had the problem, but this might do the trick.

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I think that unsupported hardware causes most of the installation hiccups, but I don't know I'm just a noob still. I tried the alternate CD first and I didn't have any luck. Here's the deal, the pc I'm working on is my grandpa's. I figured the gnome look and feel fit him and his needs more than the crappy pre loaded vista home premium that his PC came with.

Pentium dual core E2140
250gb sata hitachi hdd
gigabit integrated LAN- sis191 didn't work with 7.10
1gb ddr2

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Yes! The liveCD worked. I'm installed now and everything is working fine even the Ethernet adapter. Thanks for the help guys.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
:)