PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to install fresh (not upgrade) Ubuntu 8.04 from Alternate CD image.

hannah187
April 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum. I have a very simple query. Is it possible to install fresh (not upgrade) Ubuntu 8.04 from Alternate CD image for 8.04?

If not then I suppose I need to use the LIVECD image for 8.04 to do fresh install.

Many thanks in advance

overdrank
April 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum. I have a very simple query. Is it possible to install fresh (not upgrade) Ubuntu 8.04 from Alternate CD image for 8.04?

If not then I suppose I need to use the LIVECD image for 8.04 to do fresh install.

Many thanks in advance

HI and welcome, yes you can do a fresh install from the alternate cd. It is a text base installer. :KS

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Both will work just fine, the LiveCD is great for users who want to take Ubuntu for a test run before installing, but the alternate CD works great for just installing, it's intuitive and easy to use despite being text based.

Pumalite
April 22nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
The Alternate CD avoids possible hardware and/or graphics problems. It's text based and an installer par excellence, offering more control over the whole process.

hannah187
April 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
that's really what I need. Will download the image of the Alternate CD. Am currently running 7.10.
Thanks a lot to the community and the all who had replied so promptly.

Limpan
April 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Be sure you don't ditch any files that you might want so save.
I always install with a separate partition for home so that I do not have to lose any files. (But a backup is always a good idea.)

hannah187
April 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Well thanks for the advice. I already had my HDD partitioned. So in my logical drive I keep my data. Just reinstalled fresh 7.10 for the heck of it. I am just having fun. And this time I have used the Alternate CD to install. Am sure one of these days I will install the server version.

Cheers

beta.tester
April 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Many thanks in advance

Hi Hannah

I hope this link will help you :)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades

kind regards

john

littlebat
November 15th, 2008, 05:24 AM
It is also possible to install Ubuntu without burning CD, I have installed XUbuntu 8.04 with Alternative CD image file in harddisk on a PIII 667 + 256M machine successfully. Here is my experience: http://www.learndiary.com/en/2008/11/install-ubuntu-on-old-computer.htm