PDA

View Full Version : Music Players

bgast1
April 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
I've haven't asked this in a while and I am sure other people would like to read about it. What is the best music player out there, right now. I've tried Rhythmbox, but I don't really like it too much. Amarok, is a pretty decent player, but it quit downloading my album covers. I really don't know too much about what other choices there are now.

skrribble
April 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM
the new Amarok 2 should be great. But it always seems to take too many resources to load everything on my machine to use Amarok, since its in KDE. I've been using Exaile! for quite a while, and although not quite as stable as Amarok, it gets better with every release.

tango_ninja
April 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
what? you don't like rhythmbox..... it's great :)
I haven't experimented with much else but have heard good things about banshee

Incredulous Moose
April 22nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Rhythmbox does exactly what I need it to so I never bothered with anything else.

guitarthrasher
April 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Rythmbox does the job for me.

My ipod runs Linux as well too, because I think the ogg format is 1337.

:P

Oldsoldier2003
April 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
the new Amarok 2 should be great. But it always seems to take too many resources to load everything on my machine to use Amarok, since its in KDE. I've been using Exaile! for quite a while, and although not quite as stable as Amarok, it gets better with every release.

Amroks album cover downloads are fixed in 1.4.9.1 (available in Hardy) Album art downloads were broken in every player that uses Amazon to download the cover art but most have fixed it now.

bgast1
April 22nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
tango ninga -- I don't like how Rythmbox displays my collection. Secondly, unless I am missing something there is a lack on controls for the track playing. I didn't see a stop or a pause button. Also didn't play with it too much but Banshee didn't appeal to me too much either.

Ghil
April 22nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
If you want something simple and low on ressources, why not go for mpd + Sonata? It's both in the repos, it'll take a little time setting up mpd but afterward, it's all goodness :)

bgast1
April 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
By the way iPod support is extremely important to me. I have a 2 GB iPod and have never been able to get it to work in Linux. But I guess I will have to learn now, because Linux is all I have on my computer now. I hope I am rid of windows for good.

Is the new Amarok in Synaptic or Add/Remove?

indiecast
April 22nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
im pretty sure that all pods except for the touch and phone work in linux right now.

just do some google searching
ex.

ipod [type] ubuntu [version]

ex.2

ipod nano ubuntu 7.10

i get tons of answers for stuff by putting my ubuntu version in the search query

ace007
April 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I promise you, take some time and get used to Amarok. I worked with Rhythmbox for a while because it worked like iTunes. But Amarok has a little bit of a learning curve. I LOVE it now. Version 2 should hopefully be around soon.

I believe the album cover issue has been resolved as well. Give it a chance.

Incredulous Moose
April 22nd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Secondly, unless I am missing something there is a lack on controls for the track playing. I didn't see a stop or a pause button.

The play button also works as pause. Anyway, this isn't hardware so stop and pause are kind of unnecessary if you think about it.

bgast1
April 22nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
I decided to go with Amarok. :guitar:

sujoy
April 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
mpd+ncmpc/sonata

evenjn
December 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
The play button also works as pause. Anyway, this isn't hardware so stop and pause are kind of unnecessary if you think about it.

You know, I have read stupid rants around the web about this missing stop button, and valid explanations for its absence. That's true, it is unnecessary if you think about it - you can just press pause. But after years of being used to hardware.. I feel a kind of unrest when I see that it is not stopped, but just paused. I can't help but imagine that somewhere inside, something is actively waiting for me to click play again. So I feel compelled to press the stop button on the keyboard. I know it's silly, but.. that's how I feel. :D

rburkartjo
December 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
i use xbmc as my default player