PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hardy ISO

retiree
April 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hey Crane
I have downloaded Hardy ISO Ubuntu 8.04 x64 bit,and burned it to DVD. What is the best way to run it from DVD. It does not auto boot from drive.Thanks,Retiree

michaelramm
April 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Retiree,

You need to go into the BIOS and set the drive to boot before the HD. There are different methods to get into the BIOS depending on your make/model.

Post your make/model of your computer and we can keep helping you through the process.

Michael

retiree
April 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
My computer is already set to boot from dvd first. I am running AMD x2, 2.5 gig of ram, gigabyte MB, built in sound & video, DVD RW & Cd-RW, Samsung 22" monitor. I booted the original Ubuntu (Gutsy) from DVD. I also am running 64 bit Ubuntu. I'm dual booting. I built the machine myself.
Thanks for the help, Retiree

retiree
April 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Michael, I rebooted and it appears to check my DVD and bios is definitely set to boot from DVD. It did seem to take longer to boot, and did access my dvd a couple of times,but it looks like my original Ubuntu did boot up with my same applications on the desktop. Is there a way to check to see what version did boot? Retiree

crane
April 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
If you were watching when it booted you would have seen the Live CD screen if it booted from the DVD. It would have been a screen asking if you wanted to install or run from disc.
Also, try burning at a slower speed. It could be that you have some errors on that burn.

linux phreak
April 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Did you burn it as an image?

retiree
April 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks Crane,
I burned Hardy again at a slower speed and it worked great. Reriree

crane
April 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Cool, So how do you like Hardy? I have really enjoyed it. It had some issues a couple of weeks ago but each update gets closer and closer to being perfect.

retiree
April 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
It worked great,and everything was recognized on my system. I liked it but I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but I plan to in the next day or so. Will probably upgrade the first chance I get. Hey i appreciate the help you guys give us newbies, maybe in the future I can return some of that help. I'm planning on buying some books and study up on the system. I'm already beginning to pick up some details on how to get around, and I learn something new every day. Thanks again, to you and Michael and some of the other "Ubuntutites", I even had help from India, Regards

michaelramm
April 25th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I'm planning on buying some books and study up on the system. I'm already beginning to pick up some details on how to get around, and I learn something new every day.

Hey retiree, that is what we are here for. I am still a n00b compared to Jason and most others. You just have to dig in and find out how to do things for yourself. I went all ubuntu recently on my work laptop and at my house (well, I have a macbook pro also). I felt that I had to immerse myself in ubuntu to really get to learning it.

Here are some of the books that I have and recommend:

Ubuntu Unleashed (http://snurl.com/ubuntuunleashed), Paul Hudson & Andrew Hudson
Ubuntu Hacks (http://snurl.com/ubuntuhacks), Jonathan Oxer, Kyle Rankin, Bill Childers
The Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux (http://snurl.com/practicalubuntu), Mark Sobell

I hope that these help, and feel free to ask any question at any time in the forums. That is what they are here for.

Michael